Google

Page 3 of 3
Lee Michaels wrote:

This is bogus. E-S has a usenet group (motzarella.support) where you can talk to the developers and users with any complaints, problems and so on. You can participate as much as you want.
When Motzarella switched over to Eternal-September I got an email several weeks before it was to happen, with instructions on exactly how to make the switchover. When Comcast dropped Usenet on me, a service I paid for, I got nothing, not one notice, nada.
Some people had problems making the switch, and support was instant and thorough using the Motzarella support group. About the only way it could be better is if your pay service provided a tech at your side when an issue arouse, and my experience with techs has always been dismal compared to support you get from developers and users in a group.
It's like finding out the best method, or product for a woodworking issue. You get the best answers right here from your fellow woodworkers. You get multiple views and multiple experiences, with no bias from people trying to sell you stuff.
Anyway, if you guys can't get it working right, or can't believe free can be good, don't let me stop you from spending money on free air or free usenet.
--
Jack
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had Giganews for years and E-S is exactly the same as far as speed, no lost posts and everything showing up? If I had your experience, I would not be recommending E-S. The only difference I've seen is E-S does not have binaries. Other than that, it's been close to perfect for me.
--
Jack

Sometimes a cookie or page gets screwed up on your system. Do you know how to clear the cache and cookies? (In many browsers, you can delete only certain cookies, so your other pages won't be affected.)
Otherwise, it's something on Google's end and there's nothing much you can do other than file a bug report and/or complain to Google.
Puckdropper

Usenet, also known as newsgroups, has been around long before Google and better methods of accessing and enjoying it have too. Get a good newsgroup client (software) and a good usenet service provider. Here is some good info:
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/usenet-providers.html http://www.newsreaders.com /
Using Google to read usenet is like like asking your MIL what your wife said. Get a divorce and lose 'em both! ;)
nb

IMO, using Google for newsgroups is like using a fingernail file to sand a table top.. I paid $30 for Agent a few years ago and love it.. I also pay $3 a month for APN, a great news server...
Compared to what I've paid for small hand tools, this investment is nothing... YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

For $3 a month Giganews will get'cha into any most any news group with no hassle.

What browser are you using? Sorry if you said it, I didn't read the entire thread.
Personally, I don't get why people prefer a news reader over GG, I was a looooong time Forte user and woldn't go back to it for the world. I've been using GG since the onset and never experienced a problem. But you need to have an account.
-Jim

Yeah, well, I've got an account. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. The glitches all seem to be in Groups, because I use Google for my home page layout and a few other things with no problem.

Kill files, spam filters, true threading, cross-post filtering, ignore, hide, catch-up, follow capabilities, speed.
How's that for a start?
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com