Google

Been there, done that. There were simply some things I could not download, e.g. any Linux distribution or even some large application programs.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

What browser are you using? Sorry if you said it, I didn't read the entire thread.

Personally, I don't get why people prefer a news reader over GG, I was a looooong time Forte user and woldn't go back to it for the world. I've been using GG since the onset and never experienced a problem. But you need to have an account.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpryan

snipped-for-privacy@k20g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

Too friggin' often. Gorgeous day, light breeze, I need to upload or download something for work, but, instead, I'm outside in the lounge chair reading a new book. Life's a bitch, at times. Or I take the camera and go blow off steam shooting photos from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

As far as speed goes, I recall my WV cable, and check a friend's cable from time to time. WB is about 15-20% as fast as either one.

I'd love DSL, but... When we moved back from my abortive attempt at working for a company, in WV, my wife came back to make sure this house was set up. She had the phone lines re-connected, and asked when DSL would be available. She was told six months. That was six YEARS ago last month. No DSL, and, these days, no more promises. It's faster by far, and also far cheaper $14.95 versus $49.95), but they don't have a repeater close enough. THe nearest one is about six miles away, exactly where the nearest one was six years ago.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yeah, well, I've got an account. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. The glitches all seem to be in Groups, because I use Google for my home page layout and a few other things with no problem.

Reply to
Charlie Self

May not be available in your area, but SFWIW, have had GOOD luck with Verizon for an ISP.

Had a residential phone/ISP package with reasonable service (Dot head tech service) for over a year, then switched to a business package (land line phone & ISP, again without TV.

Great service and US based tech support which seals the deal for me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Verizon is th eone who told us it would be only six months until they had DSL here. That was six years ago, and, AFAICT, DSL is jsut as far away as ever.

Our phones are on Verizon, at least the land lines. And both of them are out today, which is bright and sunny, mid-80s, no wind, no rain.

Supposedly, the county is now talking over putting in county-wide broadband, as a part of this stimulus package. I hope so, but it's very tenative right now.

Reply to
Charlie Self

had DSL here. That was six years ago, and, AFAICT, DSL is jsut as far away as ever.

There are some advantages to living in a state with over 12% of the US population.

Good luck with the county proposal.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Verizon, unfortunately, vastly underestimates the time to get anything done. They promised us FIOS more than three years before we finally got it. Every time we called, we got "it's coming, keep watching, you'll get it soon!"

Honestly, don't play with DSL, go straight to FIOS, there's no reason not to and it's infinitely faster. With DSL, I had a 1.5mb upload. Now I've got 20mb and they're saying that we'll have access to 100mb soon (soon being a relative term for Verizon).

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Kill files, spam filters, true threading, cross-post filtering, ignore, hide, catch-up, follow capabilities, speed.

How's that for a start?

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass