Google

I have a feeling Google has finally driven me out of rec.woodworking. I don't know what they THINK they did, but as of yesterday, every time I open a thread, I get told I need to sign in to post a response. I'ma lready signed in.

They've also changed the typeface, shrunk it,and overlaid a dropdown menu telling me this is rec.woodworking plus all the other info about the group, right over the upper left corner of the screen. It's like my first wife: it won't go away.

Reply to
Charlie Self

The simple solution is to not post/read via Google.

Reply to
dadiOH

Charlie Self wrote in news:deef1861-3ca9-4921- snipped-for-privacy@h2g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

Charlie, why not throw $10 at it and try out a 25GB credit at astraweb.com? It has lasted me for a year now, and I still have a 24GB credit.

Reply to
Han

Google has been adding many options and new capabilities. I'd suggest you go through all your Google settings and reset / renter them.

Reply to
Upscale

The problem lies more with you for using Google than with Google itself.

There are many news servers, some fee-based, many free. Your ISP may even have one as part of its full-service offering.

Reply to
HeyBub

Charlie Self wrote in news:deef1861-3ca9-4921- snipped-for-privacy@h2g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

Sometimes a cookie or page gets screwed up on your system. Do you know how to clear the cache and cookies? (In many browsers, you can delete only certain cookies, so your other pages won't be affected.)

Otherwise, it's something on Google's end and there's nothing much you can do other than file a bug report and/or complain to Google.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Usenet, also known as newsgroups, has been around long before Google and better methods of accessing and enjoying it have too. Get a good newsgroup client (software) and a good usenet service provider. Here is some good info:

Google to read usenet is like like asking your MIL what your wife said. Get a divorce and lose 'em both! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Well, if ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

To me, it is like throwing out the baby with the bath water, but I understand. FREE isn't what it once was as far as service, reliability and ease of use.

I use GG as well, and from time to time they make some changes that change the appearance and the user features as well. The changes can be irritating, but I still find the price to features ratio worth the irritation.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

What you are describing is pretty much the way it has been for me during the past few months since I started accessing through Google Groups.

Didn't know I had a problem.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Even if you've had some one hitting your thumb with a hammer since childbirth, it still feels good when it stops.

nb

Reply to
notbob

IMO, using Google for newsgroups is like using a fingernail file to sand a table top.. I paid $30 for Agent a few years ago and love it.. I also pay $3 a month for APN, a great news server...

Compared to what I've paid for small hand tools, this investment is nothing... YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I've done that. Twice. No difference.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Astraweb? Worth a shot, I guess.

Reply to
Charlie Self

It would be fine if I cold read all the posts, but somehow, they've managed to run the whole deal to the far left of my screen, losing at least one letter in each sentence. It's sad when a 24" monitor ain't wide enough. Especially when it's a single program and all else works just fine.

I don't hit the wreck that often these days, so if I fold the hand, it won't deprive me of much, nor, in fact, will it deprive the wreck of much.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I've got a lot of Google programs on my machine. The NG is the only one that has problems. No other programs have problems. I'm tired of screwing with it, as this is about the fifth time in a year.

I can't wait to see Google's OS...on someone else's machine.

Reply to
Charlie Self

"Charlie Self" wrote

Astraweb? Worth a shot, I guess. ===========================

Works for me. I can't see paying monthly for something when I can make one payment and have it last me a long time. I know nothing is forever on the internet. But I have had good service and fully expect this to give me more bang for my buck than other solutions.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

If no binaries, you can get 5 gigs for $3 at usenet-news.net. I've had it for 18 mos (I don't do binaries) and frequent a dozen groups. I've yet to use even a 1/3 gig.

notbob

Free is pretty darn good if you use

unless you want binaries. If you want binaries, I'd use the one you pay for 25 gigs or whatever it is, and never pay again until you use up all

25 gigs. Someone in here uses that, and you can get a hell of a lot of ABPW pictures with 25gigs.
Reply to
Jack Stein

For $3 a month Giganews will get'cha into any most any news group with no hassle.

Reply to
Leon

Who is your ISP?

Lew