Google

Page 1 of 3
I have a feeling Google has finally driven me out of rec.woodworking. I don't know what they THINK they did, but as of yesterday, every time I open a thread, I get told I need to sign in to post a response. I'ma lready signed in.
They've also changed the typeface, shrunk it,and overlaid a dropdown menu telling me this is rec.woodworking plus all the other info about the group, right over the upper left corner of the screen. It's like my first wife: it won't go away.
Charlie Self wrote:

The simple solution is to not post/read via Google.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Charlie, why not throw $10 at it and try out a 25GB credit at astraweb.com? It has lasted me for a year now, and I still have a 24GB credit.
--
Best regards
Han

Astraweb? Worth a shot, I guess.
"Charlie Self" wrote
Astraweb? Worth a shot, I guess. ========================== Works for me. I can't see paying monthly for something when I can make one payment and have it last me a long time. I know nothing is forever on the internet. But I have had good service and fully expect this to give me more bang for my buck than other solutions.

Google has been adding many options and new capabilities. I'd suggest you go through all your Google settings and reset / renter them.

I've done that. Twice. No difference.
"Charlie Self" wrote:

Who is your ISP?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

He appears to be using wildblue.net, which looks to be *very* google centric.
--
Froz...

"Charlie Self" wrote:

May not be available in your area, but SFWIW, have had GOOD luck with Verizon for an ISP.
Had a residential phone/ISP package with reasonable service (Dot head tech service) for over a year, then switched to a business package (land line phone & ISP, again without TV.
Great service and US based tech support which seals the deal for me.
Lew

Verizon is th eone who told us it would be only six months until they had DSL here. That was six years ago, and, AFAICT, DSL is jsut as far away as ever.
Our phones are on Verizon, at least the land lines. And both of them are out today, which is bright and sunny, mid-80s, no wind, no rain.
Supposedly, the county is now talking over putting in county-wide broadband, as a part of this stimulus package. I hope so, but it's very tenative right now.
"Charlie Self" wrote:

had DSL here. That was six years ago, and, AFAICT, DSL is jsut as far away as ever.
There are some advantages to living in a state with over 12% of the US population<G>.
Good luck with the county proposal.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Verizon, unfortunately, vastly underestimates the time to get anything done. They promised us FIOS more than three years before we finally got it. Every time we called, we got "it's coming, keep watching, you'll get it soon!"
Honestly, don't play with DSL, go straight to FIOS, there's no reason not to and it's infinitely faster. With DSL, I had a 1.5mb upload. Now I've got 20mb and they're saying that we'll have access to 100mb soon (soon being a relative term for Verizon).

I've got a lot of Google programs on my machine. The NG is the only one that has problems. No other programs have problems. I'm tired of screwing with it, as this is about the fifth time in a year.
I can't wait to see Google's OS...on someone else's machine.
Charlie Self wrote:

The problem lies more with you for using Google than with Google itself.
There are many news servers, some fee-based, many free. Your ISP may even have one as part of its full-service offering.
Well, if ya gotta go, ya gotta go.
To me, it is like throwing out the baby with the bath water, but I understand. FREE isn't what it once was as far as service, reliability and ease of use.
I use GG as well, and from time to time they make some changes that change the appearance and the user features as well. The changes can be irritating, but I still find the price to features ratio worth the irritation.
Robert
What you are describing is pretty much the way it has been for me during the past few months since I started accessing through Google Groups.
Didn't know I had a problem.
RonB

Even if you've had some one hitting your thumb with a hammer since childbirth, it still feels good when it stops.
nb

It would be fine if I cold read all the posts, but somehow, they've managed to run the whole deal to the far left of my screen, losing at least one letter in each sentence. It's sad when a 24" monitor ain't wide enough. Especially when it's a single program and all else works just fine.
I don't hit the wreck that often these days, so if I fold the hand, it won't deprive me of much, nor, in fact, will it deprive the wreck of much.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Free is pretty darn good if you use http://www.eternal-september.org/ unless you want binaries. If you want binaries, I'd use the one you pay for 25 gigs or whatever it is, and never pay again until you use up all 25 gigs. Someone in here uses that, and you can get a hell of a lot of ABPW pictures with 25gigs.
--
Jack