Goodell putty knife

I broke my vintage Goodell 22 1-1/4" 22 E putty knife while removing some old brick molding around a door. It has a full tang and comfortable molded plastic handle. Who makes or owns Goodell? Looking where to buy.

Reply to
Phisherman

Try Goodell Tools Inc. Fax #: 763-531-0252

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Bad link?

Reply to
Phisherman

Looks like either Goodell has gone under or been bought out, maybe???

Or, I suppose the server could be out for maintenance over the holiday week but I could find only one distributor that had anything of theirs in stock and it was just a couple of taping knives.

I've also a really old one of theirs, but recently everything of any quality I've bought has been Hyde--very similar.

--

Reply to
dpb

Not trying to be glib here, but I absolutely hate breaking or losing a well-worn-in putty knife. Lucky for me, I have a source (Richard) for putty knives of varying stiffness and handle quality. It is one of those tools, the feel of which cannot be described. I also have a small flat pry-bar like that, looks like a WonderBar, but way smaller. One of my guys took one of my putty knives and was going to open a can with it. Two voices, in unison said: "*I* wouldn't do that." That was pretty funny.

This one is pretty cool, especially for scraping on quartz countertops... no scratchees.

Robatoy

dpb wrote: ...

Figured ought to post link...

I've used these folks in distant past before they had the online catalog, etc., ...

noticed the Goodell stuff is in the "Industrial Surplus" section rather than the main catalog which adds further to the likelihood that Goodell is no more I'm afraid...

If you do manage to learn otherwise would be nice to know.

--

Reply to
dpb

for a bunch od bar clamps that had lost them.

Just happened to be the same size as some 3", C-Clamps I hads.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's not the web-server. it is the domain-name itself that fails. No registration data whatsoever. So it's been 'gone' for a while.

History -- Goodell Tool mreged with Goodell-Pratt, back in the 1920s.

Subsequent history shows they're part of Miller Falls.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I think that's the brother(? at least a different person) -- pretty sure if they had gone away in the '20s there wouldn't have _ever_ been a domain name... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 11:27:08 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Grok that. I have an old Hyde stiffy which has followed me for 30 years.

I found a 6" WonderBar which is great. I also found that the fantailed moulding bars from HF work great when sharpened on the belt sandah. I picked up a set of 1.5-6" spring steel HF putty knives and have found them one of the best knives I've seen in a long while...after I took the rough tips off 'em. A minute of filing shaped each 'em up nicely. 'Course, I don't shop at any of the $45/knife stores. Y'know, places who sell Festeringtools, stuff like that.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Reply to
Larry Jaques