Goodbye Woodworker Journal/Router Magazines

I just got my renewal notices for WWJ and Am. Router magazines and to be honest, I don't know why I was still getting them. Habit and pre-payment, I'd suppose. Since Rockler took over WWJ it hasn't gone anywhere. And don't get me started on AmRouter which is a US rehash of the UK pub, with very little content in it that is useful.

Might buy a single issue of WWJ in the future if there's something worth the while, but it will be cheaper then a whole subscription.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1154477437.324177.128360 @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

I'm down to Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking on subscription, and Woodwork and Woodworking from the rack at the local wood emporium. How many different ways do I need to be shown how to build a router table? Or to build a wood storage rack?

Patriarch, building garden gates this week, with advice gleaned from the wReck...

Reply to
Patriarch

Reply to
Richard Clements

My 2 cents....

Dropped WWJ 6 months or so before their "Free Book" debacle, but not soon enough to avoid it. Dropped for the same reason you did. My Dad hoarded twenty or so of the very early issues. It was a true magazine, not a catalog. If you have some spare cash, pick up the issues of Lee Valley's defunct magazine, Woodcuts. They still have some complete sets. It's a shame they discontinued it. Interesting content, no chest thumping, good value. Just what you'd expect from LV. 380 pages with binder for $18.50. I presume it comes with the usual LV warranty - ship it back for refund if you don't like it. I kept mine as a fun read if nothing else.

Am. WW sub is expiring later this year, and I won't re-up again. Used to be a good magazine back

5-10 years ago, and occasionally still has a good issue, but the content is not reliable enough to lay out money for. Too much focus on beginner projects for me, and I think I've passed that stage.

I very much enjoy FWW, PWW, Wood and am trying Woodsmith and Woodcraft's mag. Woodsmith is hit and miss for my interests, and it may become Shopsmith when the subscription expires. The early Woodcraft issues seem to have been better than the current ones from what I can tell from the online archive. I paid either $7 or 9 for a year's subscription as part of an on-line order. At a buck or so an issue it certainly delivers, and I'd resubscribe at that price because you also get access to the earlier articles on line.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

I get WWJ and, as someone pointed out, how many designs for a router table do you need? I do, however, like the way it's packaged and will probably hang in there for a while.

I do want praise WWJ for one item, though. It's the articles by Ian Kirby. I had the pleasure of attending a lecture he gave at the Long Island woodworking show some years back and was very impressed by his approach. Many articles give you information on how to do some thing but Kirby's give you information on how to think about something. This may not appeal to everyone, but it does to me. Yeah, I like the "hands on" articles too, but I appreciate a balance of thinking and doing info.

YMMV,

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

I get Wood, Woodsmith, Woodcraft, Workbench, and Popular Woodworking.

Woodcraft is a decent magazine, I like the variety they get by having freelance writers, but it's a bit heavy on features about people and what they do. Which is ok, but Woodcraft really isn't a good magazine to get ideas. Still, it's a good read.

Wood magazine is probably my favorite. I've gotten a lot of inspirations from them, plus it's very inexpensive. I like how they (and Woodsmith) give you cut out templates and patterns for curves and so forth. The latest Wood had a nice project with cariobole legs and intrinsia. (sorry for butchering the spelling). I'll probably never make the intrinsia eagle, but it was a fun read, and different from the normal ultimate router table/andorndac chair article that everyone does once per year.

Woodsmith is also nice for ideas.

Don't really like Popular Woodworking, although I've only gotten 2 issues so far. Workbench is ok, but it's a hybrid woodworking/home improvement mag (at least so far it seems that way).

Reply to
bf

Second the comment regarding the Ian Kirby articles. His piece on plant-on panels provided an excellent design idea I have incorporated into the bed I'm building. I really liked the first part of his series "From Design to Cutting List", Part I, the critical path. Part II was somewhat a dissappointment. I have also indexed several other articles he has written, such as the one on chair design.

Mark & Juanita

Third. He also wrote some design articles for 'Woodworker West' . I have a couple of his books and wish that he would do one on design.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I have just started reading Woodworking Magazine.

magazine is styled after Consumer Reports in that there is no advertising and they offer monthly reviews of tools and related equipment (e.g., this month they reviewed moisture meters).

There are monthly projects and columns on all aspects of woodworking (e.g., this month they discuss wedged tenons, spline joints, and painting furniture).

Woodworking Magazine is available in a print edition, an online edition, and there is a weblog ('blog') as well.

I am a relative newbie to woodworking and find that I learn a lot in every issue.

Reply to
Edward Lomax