Good Website

Here's the website of some local boys who done good. I especially like the section where they have actual retail prices stated.
http://www.furnituremakers.com /
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

All I can say is WOW.
That is some of the most beautifully designed and executed work I have ever seen by a group of craftsmen.
With all things considered, for most of the pieces I saw that had prices, I didn't think they were out of line, either.
Are those guys part of a guild or association, or is that website a gallery sales venue?
Thanks, Tom. I bookmarked that one just for the design/inspiration of the site.
Robert
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:37:10 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

They are employees of Irion as far as I know.
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That was my thought as well. For a reasonable return on time, the prices are probably well within reason.

You might also like, http://www.michaelcolca.com/craftsmanship/details.asp His work is a bit more expensive and goes after the Craftsman style.

Wow is the word! I'm not sure which has the more incredible workmanship, but both are great to see.

I love how he uses a dovetail to attach the mirror frame to the dresser top.

Excellent website indeed. As Robert already mentioned, the prices are not out of line either. They must be very efficient in their execution.
Nice.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

The interesting thing is that they don't use work cells or break down the work into specialized elements to obtain efficiency.
One man does the job on each piece, except in certain instances where more difficult carving is done by another craftsman.
http://www.furnituremakers.com/craftsmanship.php
Nice way to run a business.
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

I had the pleasure of attending Millersville State College wit Lou Irion back in the early 70's. We both majored in Industrial Arts. I went on to teaching and Lou walked to a different drummer. He was SO talented, even back then, that I don't know if I could do now what he was doig as a student. He is truly one of the great local craftsman.
Joe aka 10x

Yo brother - I grew up in West Chester. Where are you from?
Lou was probably out of his Dad's shop in Paoli at that time.
Now he's selling wood. Really, really good wood.
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Hey Tom,
I started out in the coal reagion of Schuylkill county, raised in South Philly and eventually landed in upper Bucks county.
After a stint in the Navy, I did my 30 in the classroom in Norristown not too far from your place in Gulph Mills.
Joe

Fine Woodworking did a story about them a few issues back Greatest Commission Ever? Irion Company fills a house with 90 of the finest pieces of American period furniture by Jonathan Binzen FWW #198

Very nice period furniture. Thanks for posting this link!