Good Website

Here's the website of some local boys who done good. I especially like the section where they have actual retail prices stated.

Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

All I can say is WOW.

That is some of the most beautifully designed and executed work I have ever seen by a group of craftsmen.

With all things considered, for most of the pieces I saw that had prices, I didn't think they were out of line, either.

Are those guys part of a guild or association, or is that website a gallery sales venue?

Thanks, Tom. I bookmarked that one just for the design/inspiration of the site.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

His work is a bit more expensive and goes after the Craftsman style.

Reply to
Leon

Excellent website indeed. As Robert already mentioned, the prices are not out of line either. They must be very efficient in their execution.

Nice.

Robatoy

Wow is the word! I'm not sure which has the more incredible workmanship, but both are great to see.

Reply to
Charlie Self

The interesting thing is that they don't use work cells or break down the work into specialized elements to obtain efficiency.

One man does the job on each piece, except in certain instances where more difficult carving is done by another craftsman.

way to run a business.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

They are employees of Irion as far as I know.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

Irion back in the early 70's. We both majored in Industrial Arts. I went on to teaching and Lou walked to a different drummer. He was SO talented, even back then, that I don't know if I could do now what he was doig as a student. He is truly one of the great local craftsman.

Joe aka 10x

Reply to
10x

I love how he uses a dovetail to attach the mirror frame to the dresser top.

Reply to
Leon

Fine Woodworking did a story about them a few issues back Greatest Commission Ever? Irion Company fills a house with 90 of the finest pieces of American period furniture by Jonathan Binzen FWW #198

Reply to
eag111

Yo brother - I grew up in West Chester. Where are you from?

Lou was probably out of his Dad's shop in Paoli at that time.

Now he's selling wood. Really, really good wood.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

That was my thought as well. For a reasonable return on time, the prices are probably well within reason.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Hey Tom,

I started out in the coal reagion of Schuylkill county, raised in South Philly and eventually landed in upper Bucks county.

After a stint in the Navy, I did my 30 in the classroom in Norristown not too far from your place in Gulph Mills.

Joe

Reply to
10x

Reply to