good vise?

Page 1 of 2
Hello all, Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you folks have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman. Thanks, Kerry
Kerry Montgomery wrote:

now makes their vises. Take a look at http://www.workbenchdesign.net/rvises.html for a handy list of vise hardware.     mahalo,     jo4hn

jo4hn, Thanks, nice link. Kerry

Lee Valley Tools has some Record style vises. And, considering the customer service you get from LV, I don't think you could go wrong with one of these.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pI980&cat=1,41659
I'm lucky in the respect that I picked up a used 12" original Record vise a number of years ago. It doesn't have an integrated bench dog like many steel vises do these days, but I know it will outlast me and several generations that come after me.
Upscale wrote:

I've got the medium-size one of these. Works well, haven't had any problems.
Chris
I have 2ea 7 inch (I think) vices from Rockler don't remember the name. But I sure use the quick release - a lot, and the little metal stud that comes up for clamping. Whatever kind you settle on, I would look for those features.
Hope this helps.
Rich.....

I think you will find Record are now part of Irwin.
Certainly advertised as such in the UK and still available under that brand-name.
If you can get one you *know* you've got something that's going to last.
They make damm good vices, G and sash cramps. Their planes aren't bad either.
I'm just in the process of building a new bench and I got given a massive 10 1/2" Record vice (the biggest they made) which I've just been mounting.
I've got almost 14" of clear opening even with the wooden cheeks fitted.

Are they still making and selling them in the UK? They are no longer available new in North America, like what jo4hn & Upscale said.
Luigi
In article

Sorry for the delay in replying.
A google search on "Record Vice" (uk search) gives a number of entries.
Typical result is:
http://www.toolfastdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Irwin_Record_Woodworking_Vices.html
jo4hn wrote:

The OP said a Craftsman bench vise. When I hear that, I think of a utility vise like:
http://www.epinions.com/review/Craftsman_6_Bench_Vise/content_84300500612
not a woodworking vise per se. Perhaps this should be clarified before we suggest a replacement.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Sorry to have been away from the group for a couple of days - yes, I'm looking for a replacement for a utility vise like the one you linked to, not to a woodworking vise. Although I may need one of those eventually, so am happy for the input so far. You would think that all chunks of iron might be comparable, but the jaws on my Craftsman (out of its one year warranty - have now learned a vise is not a hand tool - which are the only Craftsman products with lifetime warranties) broke very easily, and have seen that a number of others have had exactly this problem with Craftsman vises. No replacement jaws available from Sears, but replacement jaws for other vises cost nearly as much as this vise did in the first place. Thanks again, Kerry

Are you sure it is out of warranty? I was under the impression, mistaken impression perhaps, that Craftsman tools that did not have a motor had a life time guarantee. Although parts are not available, they may just replace it, if the warranty happens to be still in effect.
Kerry Montgomery wrote:

Funny you should ask... :)
FWW had a review of woodworking vises this past issue (June '09); I didn't really read it but was surprised a little surprised at some of the ones that didn't seem to rate very well...
If it's a general-purpose vise instead of woodworking you're after, that's different of course.
As somebody else noted, if it's really Craftsman as opposed to Companion, it's quite possible you can simply get another for nothing more than a trip to the nearest mall.
I've had a Harbor Freight 94386 for about 10 years now. When I bought it they were made in Taiwan, I believe they are now made in China. It is a copy of a mid-size Record with the quick release. If you wait til it is on sale you can probably get one for $30 or $40. The regular price is $60.
It may not have as nice a paint job as a Record but I cannot imagine the Record working any better.

I'm building a small work bench for my son's birthday gift, and was looking seriously at getting one of these from Woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=148446&FamilyID=20452
If I can find a smaller one (like your 5" one), I'll probably go with that one, but we'll have to see.
I personally have a Wilton 7" and although I haven't used it much, it has the quick release screw, which is pretty handy.
Thanks, Nathan
On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 09:29:53 -0700, "Kerry Montgomery"

I have a Record (Made in England). Made in USA, Sweden, Germany or Canada is usually good. Avoid China.

Ok, what makes one vice "good" and one "bad"? Why is a vice made in China automatically "bad"? A vice is pretty low-tech, easy-to-copy, I would think.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have a Chinese vise I've liked rather well. IIRC, it was about $200 from Woodcraft. I'll post a photo to a.b.p.w
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Aren't all "vices", by definition, bad? (sorry, couldn't resist)
Yes, you would think a vise would be a pretty easy thing to copy, and that by automatically discounting all Chinese-made vises as not worthy of consideration you might be shutting yourself out from a potential good deal. Of course, I might also assume that Phisherman has direct experience with vises from all the countries he listed, and from his experiences he concluded the ones made in China were crap. Or, I could just be sitting here with a few extra minutes on my hand and with nothing of real substance to say... :-)
--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."

<sheesh> Ok, so what is a Chinese vice? (damn homonyms)

Seriously, I'm interested in just what makes a good vise. I'll be buying one soon and while I'm not about to spend $200 on a hunk-o- iron, I would spend more than I normally would if I am convinced that one is better than the alternatives. I've looked at HF vises and their prices aren't anything special, certainly not good enough to have one shipped to me.

At least you're being honest. ;-)