good vise?

Hello all, Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you folks have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman. Thanks, Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

I have a Record. Never failed me. Record no longer exists but Anant now makes their vises. Take a look at

for a handy list of vise hardware. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

jo4hn, Thanks, nice link. Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

Are you sure it is out of warranty? I was under the impression, mistaken impression perhaps, that Craftsman tools that did not have a motor had a life time guarantee. Although parts are not available, they may just replace it, if the warranty happens to be still in effect.

Reply to
Leon

Funny you should ask... :)

FWW had a review of woodworking vises this past issue (June '09); I didn't really read it but was surprised a little surprised at some of the ones that didn't seem to rate very well...

If it's a general-purpose vise instead of woodworking you're after, that's different of course.

As somebody else noted, if it's really Craftsman as opposed to Companion, it's quite possible you can simply get another for nothing more than a trip to the nearest mall.

--

Reply to
dpb

I'm building a small work bench for my son's birthday gift, and was looking seriously at getting one of these from Woodcraft:

I can find a smaller one (like your 5" one), I'll probably go with that one, but we'll have to see.

I personally have a Wilton 7" and although I haven't used it much, it has the quick release screw, which is pretty handy.

Thanks, Nathan

Reply to
nhurst

Lee Valley Tools has some Record style vises. And, considering the customer service you get from LV, I don't think you could go wrong with one of these.

'm lucky in the respect that I picked up a used 12" original Record vise a number of years ago. It doesn't have an integrated bench dog like many steel vises do these days, but I know it will outlast me and several generations that come after me.

Reply to
Upscale

I think you will find Record are now part of Irwin.

Certainly advertised as such in the UK and still available under that brand-name.

If you can get one you *know* you've got something that's going to last.

They make damm good vices, G and sash cramps. Their planes aren't bad either.

I'm just in the process of building a new bench and I got given a massive

10 1/2" Record vice (the biggest they made) which I've just been mounting.

I've got almost 14" of clear opening even with the wooden cheeks fitted.

Reply to
Stuart

Are they still making and selling them in the UK? They are no longer available new in North America, like what jo4hn & Upscale said.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

I've had a Harbor Freight 94386 for about 10 years now. When I bought it they were made in Taiwan, I believe they are now made in China. It is a copy of a mid-size Record with the quick release. If you wait til it is on sale you can probably get one for $30 or $40. The regular price is $60.

It may not have as nice a paint job as a Record but I cannot imagine the Record working any better.

Reply to
Larry W

problems.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I have 2ea 7 inch (I think) vices from Rockler don't remember the name. But I sure use the quick release - a lot, and the little metal stud that comes up for clamping. Whatever kind you settle on, I would look for those features.

Hope this helps.

Rich.....

Reply to
rich

I have a Record (Made in England). Made in USA, Sweden, Germany or Canada is usually good. Avoid China.

Reply to
Phisherman

Ok, what makes one vice "good" and one "bad"? Why is a vice made in China automatically "bad"? A vice is pretty low-tech, easy-to-copy, I would think.

Reply to
keithw86

I have a Chinese vise I've liked rather well. IIRC, it was about $200 from Woodcraft. I'll post a photo to a.b.p.w

Reply to
Morris Dovey

The OP said a Craftsman bench vise. When I hear that, I think of a utility vise like:

a woodworking vise per se. Perhaps this should be clarified before we suggest a replacement.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Aren't all "vices", by definition, bad? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Yes, you would think a vise would be a pretty easy thing to copy, and that by automatically discounting all Chinese-made vises as not worthy of consideration you might be shutting yourself out from a potential good deal. Of course, I might also assume that Phisherman has direct experience with vises from all the countries he listed, and from his experiences he concluded the ones made in China were crap. Or, I could just be sitting here with a few extra minutes on my hand and with nothing of real substance to say... :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Ok, so what is a Chinese vice? (damn homonyms)

t by automatically

ht be shutting

e that Phisherman has

is experiences he

Seriously, I'm interested in just what makes a good vise. I'll be buying one soon and while I'm not about to spend $200 on a hunk-o- iron, I would spend more than I normally would if I am convinced that one is better than the alternatives. I've looked at HF vises and their prices aren't anything special, certainly not good enough to have one shipped to me.

At least you're being honest. ;-)

Reply to
keithw86

According to Ecnerwal, chocolate and cats (furry dragons?) should rate fairly high. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Yeah, but recall the OP; he has a busted CRAFTSMAN vise - presumably of domestic manufacture.

Reply to
HeyBub