Good Veneer Source?

here's a good one:

Mike in Mystic

cheap it can be had on ebay. The only exceptions would be if you are after just a specific, small quantity, or if you need something very quickly and it's not up for auction anywhere at that moment. I would think twice before buying lumber on ebay, but veneer will have a pretty low shipping and handling cost, so it's ok.

Ebay is also great for dynamite figure and unusual veneers. Nearly all of the sellers show pictures of the actual veneer you are getting (though many will damped the veneer to display the grain more prominantly, just watch out for the ones that will up the contrast in an image editor) It's also great for getting matched sets, crucial for bookmatching, quartermatching, sunbursts, etc.

I didn't see any prices on the emcummingsveneer.com page, but the joewoodworker.com page that Mike mentioned has some. Here are some comparisons based on ended sales from some of my favorite ebay suppliers (all costs before shipping):

Quilted Maple: joewoodworker.com -- $1.84/sqft ebay (user greatdane6) -- $0.38/sqft

Quilted Bubinga: joewoodworker.com -- $4.70/sqft ebay (user thouge) -- $2.63/sqft

Walnut Burl joewoodworker.com -- $9.26/sqft ebay (user thouge) -- $1.73/sqft

And here are some others that I found when flipping through the finished auctions:

Redwood burl -- $1.25/sqft Birdseye maple -- $0.69/sqft Mappa burl -- $0.59/sqft Madrone -- $0.14/sqft Figured Makore -- $0.56/sqft

You just have to be patient if what you want isn't up for auction right at that moment. I have no idea how these people stay in business, but I hope they stay in business forever.

And no, I'm not affiliated with any of them. I just drool over their wares from time to time, and purchase from them when I need to. I've never had any problem with shipping or with the seller.

david

Reply to
D K Woods