Good turning book?

Can you folks recommend a good book for a novice woodturner? I see lots of them out there but I don't know what's good and what's not. Thanks

Tony

I really like the books by Richard Raffan. (I think the one I read is called "Turning Wood") I would highly recommend getting th video that goes with it. There are some things in wood turning that are easier to watch than deterine from wrods or pictures. A lot of larger libraries have the video, if you do not want to buy it.

Reply to
Joe Wilding

I have a few of Ernie Conover's books and like them the best. He has several different ones on turning for furniture, bowls, etc. Pick the project you want to start and get the book to match. I also have "Fundamentals of Woodturning" by Darlo, which I didn't like as well. I thought Ernie's books kept my interest and were easier to understand for a novice just wanting to get started on something. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Best is out of print. The Practical Woodturner. Frank Pain, a character and a half with what turning is about, not how to make this or that.

Reply to
George

"T" wrote in news:qMNSd.19251$Tt.13330@fed1read05:

"Woodturning, Two books in One", Phil Irons, Sterling Publishing, NY, 1999 ISBN 0-8069-6583-5

Paid about $18 at Rockler.

Before you start the lathe, find some videos. As much as anything, turning is a motor skill, demonstrated best visually. The 'dance' is hard to explain, or understand, from static words and pictures.

At least for me.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Good advice from all. There is also another group where you'll find a whole lot more info, especially if you do a google search of the archives; rec.crafts.woodturning Good luck, and brace yourself for the tool spending spree...

Reply to
gpdewitt

The most often cited books to answer this question when it comes up on rec.crafts.woodturning are:

Woodturning, A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley Turning Wood Turning Bowls Turning Boxes, all three by Richard Raffan.

I'm the chapter librarian for one of the AAW chapters here in NW Oregon and we have upwards of 75 turning books and 55 videos and DVDs. I've looked through or seen practically all of them. The above would be my personal recommendation as well for the new turner. If you only have the budget for one right now, I'd go with Rowley over Raffan for general coverage of the subject with good flow, explanation, illustration and editing - but you wouldn't go wrong with Raffan's books either. Some folks direct new turners to Mike Darlow's books, but the usual commentary, of which I readily agree, is that he's extremely techincal and rather dry. If that's your MO, you might find him helpful.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

And the videos are also worth the money. Get Rowley book and video first.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser