Good to be back...

Hi folks.
After a very long hiatus - much longer than I ever expected - I'm back online with a proper broadband connection and a renewed zest for things woodworking.
Part of the reason for the absence had to do with illness as well as some close family members passing away. And the fact that we built a new house. Which took a LOT longer than expected - courtesy of a dishonest and incompetent builder.
For the Aussies in here: never build a house with Masterton. They are *bad* news. I have some web pages with examples of their incompetency, if any1 is seriously interested.
But things are back to normal, the house is finished properly and like we wanted and we've moved in. And I have a pile of wooddorking to do. And very little time to do it. As well as moolah.
So very unlike me, I'll be using some powered tools to get things done quickly.
It will be back to my beloved old hand tools as soon as the urgent stuff is out of the way, rest assured.
Hope to progressively catch up with some old ciber-friends here who may remember me from a few years ago.
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
Noons wrote:

Nooner,
Good to see you back. Sorry to hear about the tough times, but it sounds like you're keeping your chin up.
Not a lot of neander-talk here these days, but there are still some galoots lurking about.
So what's on the ww'ing agenda after you finish the essentials?
I've been working on making a steam box and bending form for laminating a trout net or two. Bending wood is one technique I haven't yet fooled around with, but it's in my future.
Chuck Vance

Chuck, where do you get the nets after you finish your form? I've been looking at doing this for awhile.
Thanks! Joe C.
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:04:20 GMT, the inscrutable "Joe C."

Drop by http://knotsindeed.com/index.html then weave your own while you wait for the fish to climb on your line.
(Note to Noons: Welcome back, dude.)
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. http://diversify.com
Very nice to see you back.
Thu, Jan 20, 2005, 11:13pm (EST+16) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au.nospam (Noons) waves and hollers: Hi folks. <snip>
Hey Nuno, been there, done all that. Nice to have you back on board.
JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get. - Albert
Welcome back.
Dave
Noons wrote:

[snip]
Ah, one of the names whom I am less likely to skip reading is back. Welcome noons.     mahalo,     jo4hn

Long time no seeum! Welcome back.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Good to have you back, Noons.
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:13:34 +1100, Noons

G'day Noons, funny that you come back on scope when I am about to drop off! You're not the first to comment on Masterton, my BIL led them through the court system and handed them their head on a platter. It cost them more than the house was worth in the end.
I hope that you are now back on track and the house wasn't a dissapointment.
cheers,
Groggy
Groggy apparently said,on my timestamp of 22/01/2005 10:35 AM:

Where you orf now? You still in Vic?
Yeah, they're hopeless. I could live with that if they were not so dishonest to boot. Their building "supervisor" bordered on the criminal. That really gets up my nose.
Fair Trading gave them a hiding and they basically had to do all things we asked, no extra cost and they had to fix what we thought was wrong. Only one thing remaining and they are making a "last stand" on that one. It's gonna hurt them more than it hurt me!... :)
House looks very good now. But we had to go through hoops to get it the way we wanted, not the way they wanted.
Lots of finishing stuff for me to do now, though. Mostly finish carpentry like Chuck noted. Yeah, I had to learn all sorts of things about framing and hanging doors and such. Good fun.
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto