Good stuff in this months FWW

Fine Woodworking Mag has some good stuff this month. Hayrack table (I'll make a few), Dado jig (I'll make one), front door building tips (I'll build a few), some others (can't recall right now, it was long plane ride while I read the mag. Pen turning (not so much).

a few), Dado jig (I'll make one), front door building tips (I'll build a few), some others (can't recall right now, it was long plane ride while I read the mag. Pen turning (not so much). The dado jig, is that the one with the clamps on the bottom side?
If sooo,,, I would suggest not using a guide bushing at all, I have been down that road. Much Much better to use a top pilot bearing flush trim bit/pattern bit.
Why? You do not have to insure that either a. you do not clock the router while cutting the dado, and or b. you do not have to be absolutely certain the bit is centered in the bushing to place the dado exactly where you want it.
Set up is so much simpler with a top beating that rides along the jig fence surfaces.
On Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:45:37 PM UTC-7, Leon wrote:

Yes, clamps on the bottom. Yes, the bushing concept. Yeah, I have bushing setups but worry about those same things and really only use bushings for butterfly inlay. I think I will modify to use bearing follower bit.