Good Straight Edge

Page 2 of 2

Since you are a Lee Valley customer, have a look at these: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&pP074&cat=1,240,45313
Ken wrote:

Would a pipe be good for this? That way you could roll it along the workpiece and see low/high spots as it went along...
Though I don't know if a pipe would be straight enough... I was just throwing it out as another possible idea.
-Nathan
N Hurst wrote:

A pipe is just as likely to be as strait as a lot of the aluminum bar or extrusion suggested in this thread. After machining literally tons of this stuff, I have come to not trust it even as far as I could throw it. I guess it depends on your definition of strait.

Ken wrote:

<SNIP>
I have a cutting guide similar to the one you have described, but it is about 20 years old. One day, I held the two sections edgeto-edge. What a disappointment; there was a lot of light shining through.
I hope your edge guides are better. I don't know of anything in the extrusion process that would necessarliy produce a straight or flat product. I suspect that there may be some post processing to yield a saw guide that is straight and flat. The bar stock in the home centers has not had any post processing.
Regards, Ed
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 15:59:58 -0400, Ken wrote:

Ken, Glad you found something that works. I live near both a J & L Industrial and a Production Tool store. I would probably have simply bought a suitable piece of ground flat stock perhaps .250 thick by 1.5" wide and been done with it.
Bill
Ground flat stock is an often overlooked source for a strait edge but not available in the large size he was looking for.