Good source of hardwoods in Seattle area?

Can anyone suggest a good wood dealer in the Seattle area?
TIA
Dan
Crosscut Hardwoods. 4100 First Ave south.

CW wrote:

Thanks, I had found them on google, but you can't beat personal experiences/referrals. Have you used them yourself?
Dan
Yes, that's where most of my wood comes from. Good selection, reasonable prices and, unlike some places these days, are just as interested in the hobbyist as in the commercial shop.

CW wrote:

;-) I'll check them out next week. BTW my 1st project is a wood base for a glass dining room table, 42" x 72". Now that I have a source for the wood, I need to find/price the top. One place (Cascade Glass on Nickerson in Seattle) has quoted me $560 for a 1/2 thick top, delivered. Have you ever had occasion to buy such a thing in the area?
Dan
The last time I bought any glass was about 15 years ago. It was also in Kent, about 25 miles from Seattle. Can't really help you there.

A couple of others in the area worth mentioning are Hardwood Supply out in Redmond, Sumner Woodworking, Portland also has Gilmer, probably the largest of the bunch.
Welome to the NW Dan, if you get that glass table top just add sandpaper and you have a place to sharpen your chisels and plane irons :)
CW wrote:

brandom11 wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations & the welcome! Moved here from central Ohio, my wife & I LOVE IT! ESPECIALLY the WEATHER! And one thing I've found is people sure are friendly here, which seems to extend to the local woodworkers. I'll definitely look into the sources you suggest.
Dan
Across the street from Crosscut Hardwoods is Compton Lumber. They have a big stock of the more common hardwoods and they carry s4s, if that's what your into. I like Crosscut better for exotics and they have a more service oriented staff. If you are measuring goodness of a wood dealer by pricing though, neither of them has struck me as a great bargain.
Neil
Dan wrote:

nlbauers wrote:

Neil-Thanks for the insights. Since my shop is pretty minimal at the moment (I had a Delta jointer, but had to sell it before moving here, along with my Unisaw) so the s4s is just what the dr. ordered at the moment!
Dan

I haven't had a chance to check out Crosscut yet. I buy most of my hardwood from Edensaw out in Port Townsend as I live in the West side of the Sound. They have a store in Kent as well on south 194th st; website is www.edensaw.com. They were featured on the Lumberyard episode of Modern Marvels on the History Channel, IIRC. No connection, just a satisfied customer.
--
Clint Johnson
to reply:

Clint Johnson wrote:

Hadn't heard of that one before, thanks Clint.
Dan