Good router bits?

Page 1 of 2
Folks,
I want to make some raised panel cabinets.
Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I don't want.
I checked ebay for used ones, but can't trust.
thanks, DJ

Fine Woodworking just did a comparison article - check your local library or bookstore. According to my own limited experience, Infinitytools.com is a good source for reasonably-priced and high-quality bits. MLCSwoodworking.com has great prices, free shipping, great customer service, and their bits are pretty good quality (much better than the $1/ea eBay import specials, but not quite as good as the higher-end pro bits). Also, search the archives here - this has been discussed before. Andy

When I bought this set it was about $40, may have been a sale, anyway they worked fine for the Poplar frame and MDF panels I made. Came with a few washers to fine tune the fit.
http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid &cat0&page=1
YMMV

I can see there are three more messages, but don't get to read them.. something wrong?

Nothing is more expensive than a cheap bit that will damage the wood. Go with any of hte decent brand names like Infinity, Freud, Whiteside, etc.
Check www.infinitytools.com and www.routerbits.com

Buy the most expensive "name brand" than you feel comfortable with spending money on. I prefer CMT, Amana, the old Jesada, and Infinity, in that order.

DJ,
While not an expert at woodworking, I have been building stuff outta wood for 30+ years. (Most of what I do would be classified by the more talented members of this group as either finish carpentry or "craft" quality.) That being said, I have been using routers for nearly 30 years.
Last year I found a company called Woodline USA (http://store.woodline.com /). Fair prices- especially if you but some of their sets. *Excellent* customer service. I damaged a carbide tipped bit due to MY negligence, and they replaced it at no cost. Didn't even charge me shipping! Now THAT's customer service. :>)
Not affiliated with, yada, yada, yada, and all the other disclaimers.
Gary Kasten St. Peters, MO
"D J" wrote:
> > I want to make some raised panel cabinets. > > Any suggestions on the router bits. <snip>
As Leon suggested, stay with the majors, buy the best you can afford.
Trying to cut corners on cutting tools is strictly false economy, IMHO.
SFWIW, have used a couple of Infinity bits, they work for me.
Lew
D J wrote:

Lee Valley has good quality bits, not too expensive.
www.leevalley.com

Used you don't want unless you just happen to find another "one-timer" who bought the Amana or another top-quality set and built one set of kitchen cabinets and then you probably wouldn't save that much anyway from what I've seen watching auctions in the past.
I agree w/ the others that it's a false economy in the larger picture. It depends also in part on what you're making the cabinets from -- if it's a softwood, you may get by w/ a lesser bit, but if you are using a fine hardwood and particularly anything w/ any grain characteristics at all, you want the best and sharpest bit you can find.

[...]

Check out Woodline bits. If they're good enough for Sam Maloof they are good enough for me.

You realize that they pay him to use their bits, don't you?

I don't think a perfectionist such as he would use junk no matter what he is paid.

Sam Maloof is a great woodworker but absolutely NOT a perfectionist. He freehands a lot of his of his work. Supporting a product, good or bad is not going to harm his reputation.
Tiger Woods promotes Buick. Being the multi millionaire that he is I seriously doubt he owns a fleet of Buicks.

Didn't he pass away a few months back?

Noooooooooooooooo.