Good planer?

Page 2 of 2
Buy the lathe instead, you'll have more fun :)
Gene

and
planer
idea
and
never
take
On 14 Jan 2004 19:25:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote:

DeWalt, Makita, and Delta are very good brands. The Makita is lighter weight amd smaller and can be moved around the shop a little easier. The cost of the knives is about $40 for any of these. Be prepared--Planning produces a *lot* of sawdust and noise. If the Delta is $100 less than the DeWalt, I'd select the Delta which can plane a 13" wide board, beating the DeWalt by 1/2"
In addition to my original reply to the question I've been following the posts in the tread and I would like to throw in some more info.
I'm not plugging one unit over the other nor trying to change anyone's mind about their choice of delta over de walt or visa versa however a small fact.
As I stated in my original post the name of the game for planers is CPI (cuts per inch). The higher the CPI the cleaner a cut you get.
The Delta Two speed planer gives you 60 and 90 CPI the De Walt with three blade gives you 96 and 179 CPI. In a smooth finish contest the De Walt would win hands down. However, that doesn't mean that the surface the Delta is going to give you will be lousy. My 12 1/2" single speed Delta gives a pretty good finish as it is. If it dies I'll spend the money for the De Walt but until that time I'm not going to feel deprived of a good machine.
Just passing the info on.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net