Good news, Robin Lee!

That new low-angle smoother your helpers sent me this week works like a dream!
With only a little cleanup, I put it to work on some bird's eye maple I'd been saving, but which had been successfully resisting hand tools in previous applications. This was the proper tool.
Fits well in my hand. Looks good on the bench. Screams out 'modern neanderthal'.
Keep up the good work!
Patriarch, galoot in training...
Hi -
Thanks - will pass credit to the designer.... :)
(he's busy working on a big brother for it....)
Cheers -
Rob

How's the new shoulder plane progressing? The medium sized one was very useful in trimming the rabbets for yesterday's box.
Patriarch
<snip>

Hi -
The large shoulder is hitting the streets soon - will be taking it to IWF next week. They're on the mills now....
To quote Bob and Doug - "It's beauty eh!"
Cheers -
Rob
calmly ranted:

Crikey, that should be "Beauty, eh?", Rob.
"Dare I ask the price?" he said, with dual bent crowbars.
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Robin Lee wrote:

Great! As one of a number of woodworkers with a shop humidity problem, I'd like to request a rustproof alloy...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Hi Morris -
That's a much tougher thing to do - other alloys don't have the properties of ductile iron - the stability, machinability, damping quality etc.
I hear you though!
Cheers -
Rob
Robin Lee wrote:

I (at least somewhat) understand the difficulties involved in using non-traditional materials and methods. On the other hand, manufacturing technology and metalurgy have come a long way since the appearance of the first mass-produced iron planes...
I've admired both the LV and L-N planes for as long as I've known about them. I think both are (at least) a bit pricey; but worth the cost if they pay their way. After having my beautiful new LV low angle smoothing plane cratered by rust from spending a single winter in my shop (in the original box with the original generously sized silica gel bags), I decided with considerable regret that I'd best admire from a distance.
I can't even begin to tell you how delighted I was to find a stainless steel framing square in the LV catalog!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

You're such a tease. :-)