Good Lord, Give Me Strength! (Moving the Shop)

Page 2 of 2

Good idea. Most lumberyards have stock 24' trusses in stock that are cheaper than you can buy the material to build them, by the way.
--
Jim in NC

On 6/23/14, 9:27 AM, Morgans wrote:

Every time I've order custom trusses, they were cheaper than the material or as much. Even when they're not, what they save you in time and effort makes them a no-brainer.
--

-MIKE-

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:27:38 -0400, "Morgans"

I've seen very few lumber yards that stock trusses but they can get them custom made in very short order. I built a garage almost 30 years ago and was surprised then that the trusses were cheaper than the 2x4s they're made from.

The stock trusses are normally considerably cheaper than the same truss if you were to order it. The truss companies build them when there is not enough custom orders to keep everyone working, and take a loss on them.
--
Jim in NC

Common in these parts. They are usually 24 feet wide at the outside of the bearing, and about 5/12. Look to the mom and pop places rather than the big box places. They may have been sitting and weathered but the immediate availability may make them look attractive. Popular for pole sheds.
--
Jim in NC

On 6/23/14, 7:13 PM, Morgans wrote:

There's a custom truss place 4.5 miles from my new place. I used them before to make some custom cathedral trusses for a friend's studio build. They were stupid cheap.
--

-MIKE-