Good Lord, Give Me Strength! (Moving the Shop)

Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the entire shop. Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as well?

Pray for me! :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Moving is a time to evaluate your possessions. You make three piles, this one goes to the new house, this one goes to good well, and the third one goes to the curb for pickup by the garbage man.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Been there, done that, 42 months ago. I do not envy you! good luck!

Reply to
Leon

----------------------------------------------------------- Company policy of one of my employers.

If you haven't used it in 2 years, THROW IT AWAY.

It was tough but it worked.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yes, it's good to move every five to ten years. It cuts down on the junk collection. I've moved three times in seven. The last time was pretty easy, though I had picked up a lot of tools.

Reply to
krw

I'm sure there is some kind rec. soul here who has a trailer and would love to help you carry that reclining sofa/hide-a-bed from the upstairs loft and pull that Unisaw out of the basement. com'on people!

Brewster

I have been in the same shop and house for 26 years, much of that while running a business building house, cabinets and teaching shop. Add to the tools I collected myself, when we shut down my dad's shop about 10 years ago, I got to his place and they were supposed to be out of the house that afternoon. He had the house packed, but had not touched the shop, at all! All we had time to do was DUMP stuff in totes, and put it onto the truck. How many totes! Maybe 50?

Now since I became disabled, I finally have the time to go through my stuff and organize, and his stuff, much of which has never seen light since they were dumped.

The scope of the undertaking is like eating an elephant. Just one bite at a time will get the job done. The quantity and quality of the stuff I have now is also impressive.

Still setting up machinery, and adjusting. Still have a couple to do. Going to need to tear out a wall and rewire the place and install a dust collector.

Wow.

Just Wow.

It almost deserves a "you suck"

Reply to
Morgans

"Morgans" wrote

Or an, "I pity You!"

Reply to
Morgans

Brewster wrote in news:ln1tp0$1686$1 @adenine.netfront.net:

Sure, I'd love to help. However, my GPS can only do a round trip, so the Unisaw has to stay at my place. *g*

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Thanks, Mike! I knew I could count on you for a "You Suck"

On another note, I bent the shaft on a Pro Tec (I think) bench-top drill press, yesterday. Using a 5/8" countersink bit, and it grabbed and bent. Crap. Now what. Disassemble and try to pound it out reasonably straight, I guess. No money for my dream floor drill press.

I guess that about cancels my you suck.

Reply to
Morgans

Yes, there certainly is a difference between "you suck!" and "that sucks!". ;-)

Reply to
krw

As the screw turns?

Reply to
krw

wrote

Right. And it depends on who is doing the "saying."

When it grabbed, and sent the clamped down drill press vise out of position, I proceeded to get it (what I thought was lined back up) and clamped back in place then turned it back on to continue the work. It was then that I saw it was wobbling like a drunken sailor.

Then was when "I" said it.

"You suck!"

I would not have believed it was possible to bend a drill press that easily.

Reply to
Morgans

I wouldn't either. That's amazing. ...and quite scary.

Reply to
krw

That shouldn't take more than a year to find MOST of it... :)

Reply to
Richard

And I thought packing it all up was the hard part. Now I have to organize the new shop! Wow. Every time I try to do something I have to find where the thing is I need to do the thing I need to do to get to the thing I need.

One task at a time... I'll get there. phew....

Reply to
-MIKE-

Those are good problems to have Mike.... Enjoy your new digs.

Hope it's better than the last shop.

Reply to
woodchucker

Thanks, Jeff. You are correct. We are very blessed.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Lit a couple of candles(citronella) for you! ;)

Moved mine twice in three years ... still looking for stuff, and it appears to be shrinking on a daily basis:

Did you gain any space?

Reply to
Swingman

We definitely need those in this new yard. I'm thinking of hanging some bat houses to help control these skeeters.

Yes and no. The garage is bigger, but I don't have a shed yet. PLUS, I have to get a riding mower for this bigger yard. So for now, it's a sardine can until I can solve the shed equation.

I'm thinking of just sinking some poles in the ground and getting some roof trusses and calling it a day---> BAM, new garage.

Reply to
-MIKE-