Good CAD program that isn't AutoCad?

Since I'd rather spend $3000+ on a Laguna band saw than on AutoCAD, does anyone have a recommendation on design software other than AutoCAD

2005?
Reply to
Geoff

AutoCAD

I had one a few years back called DesignCad. Seems like it was around $399 for the 2D version, the 3D version was a little more. It worked pretty well and was fairly easy to use. It helps to have a digitizer board to go with it but not absolutely necessary.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

This is asked several times a year. A search will reveal most common suggestions, however, I have recently been using AutoSketch 9. Made by Autodesk and it works well enough for my uses.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

I've been using TurboCAD for several years and I like it. Last time I looked, it was available in several flavors ranging from free to a few hundred bucks. I started with the free version and decided I liked it and upgraded to one that was ~$60-70 IIRC and haven't needed anything more.

Published e-mail address is for spam collection only. If e-mailing me, use jc631 at optonline dot net

-- jc

Reply to
John Carlson

What are your needs? AutoCad will let you design a 747 complete. What did you have in mind?

Reply to
Guess who

Try DesignCad. It has the power of AutoCad but costs less than $100.00. it does 2d and 3d drawings. My wife has been using it for years doing architectural drafting and I use it for shop projects and business site plans. Here is a link to their site:

Bill

AutoCAD

Hi Geoff, I use an older version of TurbCAD (ver. 8.0 standard to be exact). I picked it up 7 or 8 months ago for about $14 because it isn't the latest and greatest version, but it's more than adequate for my designs. It does 2D and 3D, auto-dimensioning and a whole lot more that I haven't figured out yet. I got it because one of the woodworking mags. recommended it and I decided that for $14 and since I was used to drawing my plans by hand, even if I didn't like it I wasn't out much. I hope that helps. Happy sawdust. BC

Reply to
bc

Well, if you've got three grand to spend then Ashlar-Vellum Cobalt is pretty nice.

Intellicad is a fair AutoCAD clone for $50-175 depending on options--you can give it a free try at "

". If you've never been trained on Autocad though plan to spend a while learning it.

has a list of free and/or inexpensive CAD products one of which might suit your needs. You might want to go through them before you buy anything.

If you can find someone with a copy, many years ago Cadkey put the fully-functional DOS version of their product up on their Web site as a Christmas present to their user community after the Windows product had become established--if you can find someone who has the download it's still a very, very capable 3D CAD program--I'd email you a copy if I hadn't lost mine.

Reply to
J. Clarke

AutoCAD "LT" about $700.

You really do not need the 3D perspective with diminishing points of view for woodworking that AutoCAD offers.

Reply to
Leon

Wow Dave , Auto Sketch 9. My last version of that program was 2.1 and that version was pretty impressive. I have been using AutoCAD LT since leaving

2.1 AutoSketch.
Reply to
Leon

I just found a 3d modeling package called SketchUp

You can download a full version that lets you use it for up to eight hours. It seems to be really intuitive and easy to learn. There are demo videos on the web site. I you have a high-speed internet connection, they'd be worth a look. It does lighting, even seasonal lighting if you're doing architecture, surface textures, and animations. It's around $450, I think. Give it a try and see what you think.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

for me. I'll have to look at DesignCAD again. Old habits are sooooo hard to break as I am quite comfortable with AutoCAD LT.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW, I down loaded this program to try out and went to the site for a quick overview of the program. The speaker on the demo stressed that Sketchup IS NOT a CAD program, which the OP is looking for. IIRC it is a design program.

Reply to
Leon

The OP asked about CAD in the title and design in the text.

If you are looking to a software solution to aid in the conceptualization of a design, then Sketchup is wonderful. Less good if you are looking to use it as part of a CAD-CAM process.

Reply to
johnny999_99

You might want to look at "Solid Edge" if into modelling. It has comprehensive tutorials. However, this and other suggested software is WAY overboard for non-trained draftsmen wo want to do simple woodworking design ...unless writing the book. Most is just Tim the Toolman grunting. Try DeltaCad for most purposes.

Reply to
Guess who

Will Sketchup so Dimensioning?

Reply to
Leon

I'm a proponent of DeltaCad. It is quite intuitive and easy to use. You can go to

and download a 30 day trial version to see if you like before you pop for the big $39.95 to purchase it!

Reply to
Don Dando

Will Sketchup do Dimensioning? Yes it will and very nicely too. Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Reply to
Leon

It does seem to have a mechanical design component.

Reply to
Guess who