Good air nail gun for crating

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good air gun that would be suitable for crating.
I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge air gun.
I had to make four crates this weekend (done with 3 so far). Unfortunately, while it works as advertised, it is not a good gun for crating. The 18 gauge nails are too thin and do not hold things very well. So I had to shoot an insane amount of nails to hold the crates.
I looked at something like this
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
and I am not sure if a finish nailer is the right route to take. Maybe I should use different kinds of nails, as opposed to finish nails? Or staples?
Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3" boards.
thank you
Ignoramus13959 wrote:

For crating you may be better off with a narrow crown stapler, Porter Cable makes a nice one. Crating it's like framing with 2x material so a framing nailer isn't very good and a finish nailer isn't appropriate either. Many of the crated items I've dealt with are stapled.
Pete C.

Pete, I agree with you. What gauge do you think is apropriate?
How about this one
(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
16 gauge air stapler by Porter Cable
Ignoramus13959 wrote:

The NS150A is the one I've used. It's less than half the price as well. The 1/4" narrow crown staples are easy to find, not sure about those 7/16" medium crown ones. The shorter 1 1/2" max length shouldn't be an issue for crating materials.
Pete C.

Yep, I tried 1 1/8" staples, they work okay. Thanks Pete.

I agree with Pete.
Senco also makes good examples.
Ignoramus13959 wrote:

the stuff to stay together, look at the staplers that are used to put sheathing on houses these days.
Coupla shots with one of those, and stuff stays put.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Trevor, thanks for suggesting staples. Since my nailer is also a stapler, I tried 1 1/8" 18 gauge staples, they work much better than little finish brads, and I find this basically acceptable, though not perfect. I think that I will stick to the tool that I have (18 ga nailer/stapler), for now, and will use staples for crating.
Problem solved. Thanks to all for good food for thought and great suggestions.
Ignoramus21090 wrote:

Not an expert but when you buy staples perhaps check to see if they're coated, it makes a big difference in holding power. Also the type of cut on the points is a variable on some as well; this controls how the staple behaves as it passes through the wood (I always wondered why you'd use anything besides straight driving staples though).
Also a general note: Some guns need oil lubrication, others can be harmed by lubrication, even if earlier models, by the same manufacturer, were not built that way. Check your literature or check with the manufacturer and you may avoid costly time-consuming repairs.
dennis in nca
Ignoramus13959 wrote:

I think a medium crown stapler is what you're after. This tool is used for fastening down roof decking on houses. I saw a Duo-Fast for $249 at Home Depot this morning.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

My favorite heavy crating gun is a Senco MK III. It shoots 7/16" crown staples up to 2-1/2" long. Great gun.
Here is one on ebay now, Auction # 320069013337
I have Senco SKS 1/4" stapler for sale. Good used. I think you can change it to shoot wider staples. I also have a few boxes of staples. Make me an offer I can't refuse. I got it from a shop I worked in. We used it to make exhibit displays. And occasionally to crate something. I can send you pics and maybe even a video if you want.
Ignoramus13959 wrote:

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:51:03 GMT, Jim Behning

Jim, I think that my 18ga gun can shoot staples too. I will try them today on my last crate (4th out of 4). What gauge is your gun?

Dura-Ace sti shifters are a bicycle componant. They are the controls you use to shift gears on a bike.
Mike (TDF junkie) Hroller McKnutt Pornstar, Mad Scientist, Genius for Hire Girls chased and caught!

A stapler is definitely the way to go for crating or other uses where appearance is not an issue. For about the same price as the 18 ga brad gun HF has an 18 ga narrow crown stapler the shoots up to 1 5/8" staples. If you need even more holding power, use a 1/2" crown 16 ga stapler and the OSB will break before a staple pulls out.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Stapler is the only way to go. I have a Bostich 1" crown unit that I prefer for crates although the 1/2" and 7/16" sheathing staplers will work fine. 1/4" staples are too narrow, they will pull out. I usually do 5 sides witht he stapler, put the top on with 1-5/8" drywall screws for both my convience and the recipant's.
Ignoramus13959 wrote:

Answer: Stapler
1. Medium crown PC MS200R (2" max) - sheathing application 16-guage 2. Wide crown Hitachi N5024A (2" max) - roofing application 16 guage 3. Narrow crown PC NS150A (1.5" max) - cabinet backs and trim 18-guage
If you will do much crating, the medium crown is the best. Large home centers will have the staples but not the stapler. I buy these staples in boxes of 10,000.
The narrow crown will probably have more other uses besides crating, but the staples are only 18 guage and stop at 1.5". Staples available everywhere. You may have to shoot a few extra staples. They are more likely to pull through in soft wood.
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 21:29:53 -0600, Ignoramus13959