Good 9" Bandsaw for resawing

One of the first tools I bought was a cheap clearance bandsaw from Sears. It works well for somethings, but uses an odd-sized blade and has very little power. I am going to upgrade soon, but I don't know if a 9" (or the Ryobi 10") bandsaw would be much of an improvement or if I should just start saving for a 14". I don't do a lot of resawing, but there are times I would like to cut some thinner stock from a 2" or 3" wide piece of maple, oak or mahogany.

I have a pretty limited budget, so I am trying to stay in the under $400 range. What do people here suggest?

Thank, Richard

Reply to
Richard

I'd shy away from a 9" bandsaw.

For resawing 2" to 3" boards look at the 14" Grizzly G0580 at $379.25 with shipping:

under $500 look at the G0555 at $484.25 with shipping.

no(SPAM)vasys

No, it wouldn't. Go for 14" as a minimum.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I wouldn't plan on doing much resawing with a 9" bandsaw.

14" is the minimum but still light. 20" is better because you can get resawing blades, which are much wider and track better.

Also, used equipment is cheaper and works just as well. Possibly better because for the same money you get a bigger & better machine. For comparison, I see the ryobi 10" selling for $199 at the the homedecrap. I just picked up a 14" delta wood/metal bandsaw (variable speed) for under $400. Sure, it's twice the price, but way more than twice the machine.

Reply to
A.M. Wood

I have resawn 4" lumber on my 12" Jet with 1/2" blade getting Ok results. By Ok, I mean don't expect to sand and go. It will still need planning and/or jointing. You can also do this width and sometimes a bit more on a table saw. I would not suggest the 12" saw for anything wider than 4" unless you leave a whole lot for clean up. Also not if you're going to do this with any regularity as it can be painfully slow on hardwoods. Last the 1/2" blade is inadequate for attempt to slice consistent veneers that are too thin to subsequently plane.

Daryl

Reply to
daryl1138

I would opt for the Delta 3/4 hp 14" bandsaw at Lowes if my budget is $400, It is a pretty good saw and you can add a 6" riser block later to get 12" capacity.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Let me second this suggestion. I had a 12" Craftsman I inherited from my Dad. After using it a while, I stumbled on a used Jet variable speed for $250. Bought the Jet, and have no regrets. Put the effort into looking, and good buys of used equipment are there to be found.

The Craftsman sits in storage for the first son who gets out of an apartment and into someplace with a garage.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

Grizzly might have something if you want new, but I would look for a used 14" As matter of fact, I saw a Rockwell (Delta) for sale on the local Craigs list for $200. I'm cussing myself because I have the $ but for personal reasons no where to put it for now.

Reply to
lwasserm

I'll suggest you buy a used saw. Last winter I finally made room for a bandsaw and ran a want ad in the local paper (I live in a community of about 50,000 people). I had offers for about a half-dozen saws, ranging from a 14" Grizzly to something like a 25" Rockwell industrial saw that required 3-phase power (my add said "minimum 14" woodcutting bandsaw"). I had several good 14" saws to choose from, all in very good condition, and all under $300.

I ended up getting a 14" Jet with a mobile base, Carter guides, Jet fence, 3 speed kid, and a few other odds-and-ends for $225. The original owner had all the receipts and had taken very good care of the saw for the five years he'd owned it, basically cutting nothing but some small holiday patterns before deciding he'd be better off with a scrollsaw. Buying the same saw w/the extras new would have run me about $900 as I recall. I bought some new blades and added the Iturra tension spring and hand wheel. I've been resawing 6" hickory with it this week and couldn't be more pleased with the saw.

So run a want add-- mine cost about $15 to run for a week, and it saved me about $600 that I was planning to spend on a new saw.

-kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

Before you spend a nickel, search on ebay for free.

Reply to
A.M. Wood

In regards to the Ryobi 10" bandsaw, I can say from experience it will cut through 2" of hardwood without serious problems. I cut probably

100 linear feet of 2" thick white oak, and it worked. Pretty slow feed rate. Bearing blade rollers are nice, and dust collection is OK. Tension spring is wimpy - will be replaced soon. However, if I were buying again, and I were on a tight budget, I'd look seriously at the 10" Rikon or Craftsman (almost identical as far as I can tell) models for less than $150. These seem like nicer machines for significantly less money. If, like you said, you can spend up to $400, I'd definitely look for a 14"er - Grizzly or used, as other people have suggested. Good luck, Andy
Reply to
Andy

To echo the other replies, you won't be sorry going with a 14" - much more versatile and accurate than a 10".

If my sleuthing is correct, you're in Portland? Have you scanned Craigslist for a used saw? I've seen several local (I'm in Newberg) saws that I'd consider looking at if I was in the market over the last month or so.

I'd not hesitate to consider a used Delta, Jet (w/white paint ­ blue models may not be of the same quality), General or Powermatic. If you like to refurbish older machinery, don't dismiss Walker-Turner, Oliver, etc. They're pretty simple machines with easily replaced wear parts. What can go wrong? Needs tires, belt, maybe wheel bearings, thrust bearings? All simple to change out. Even replacement motors aren't that pricey.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I've heard arguments against getting the riser block later. That is, get it up front. Otherwise, you have to restock all new blades. WIth the riser installed from the start, it's one size start to end.

Jack

Lowell Holmes wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne