Golden Ratio for "foot" vs top?

Making up a art desk for a christmas present which is an angled top about

26" deep. I've glued up stock to make feet which will run parallel to the sides which are like you see on traditional work benches. What is the proper "dimension" of those feet? Currently I am about 4-5" shorter in length and 1.5" thick. Plan to connect to the art desk with a plate across the bottom at an interior baffle in the desk, then rabit the legs to the plate, run those to a mortise in the feet.

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

Don't understand exactly what you're looking for, but here's the golden ratio if you need it: 1.61803399 = ( 1 + sqrt(5) )/2

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

A Womack wrote in news:Xns95B14F5405A7Farwomack01attnet@127.0.0.1:

some bad ascii art

******************** ********************** **** **** **** ****

type of foot.

A google search found me a bench with the feet shape, picture was about

300K so dialup users beware.

's not my bench, just the feet dimensions are what I am curious about in a design function.

Reply to
A Womack

Listen to Beethoven.

Look at Leonardo.

Is there not always a mass that provides the underpinning?

Regard that Classical Consolidator - Palladio.

His books are out of protection by more years than a few and can be had cheap in replication.

Dover is a good house for the Classics.

The design of columns will provide a clue.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Or if you like plain e-text, project Gutenberg has a whole lot of them.

Reply to
Prometheus