Goddamn Google Groups

Page 1 of 2

For about the fifth time, Google Groups has dumped my membership in two photo newsgroups. It has dumped it from rec.woodworking a time or two also.
One has to wonder what kind of criteria they use for dumping. All worked well until just now. Then, two groups gone and all I can locate is a new message of no interest whatsoever.
About two more weeks and I'm out of this horseshit, using at least some kind of real life ISP and NG entry.
I was just reading your post thinking, "man, that stinks", when a few minutes later it happens to me too. They think I'm not subscribed to any groups, and clear all the "starred" topics I'm watching. What's up with that? Any advice?

Teranews and Gravity as a newsreader. Teranews is free ($3.95) initial charge (keeps the spammers and trolls away). Gravity is free just search for Tom's Gravity page.
Mark

$3.95 is nothing for a spammer. I used to own an ISP and we would get at least one spammer a month set up an account and pay the $18.95 on a credit card. That $18.95 wouldn't get them far as they usually were shut down in an hour or two.
Brian Elfert

They require that probably more towards the Snuh trolls actually, it was implemented after it was found that those yutzs were using Teranews as an attack base for numerous news groups.
Teranews recieved complaints via they're upstream providers, large numbers of well written complaints have weight.
Mark
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 09:59:45 -0500, Markem

Had absolutely horrible luck using Teranews -- abandoned the account before it had expired just out of frustration and started using Supernews. Much more civilized and reliable. With Teranews, I couldn't see most of the pictures on abpw, attempting to open many of them would cause Gravity to hang such that I had to close it, sometimes the hang was so bad it would wipe out my subscribed groups. They seemed to reset newsgroup numbering quite regularly, again requiring re-subscribe and sort out the old posts from the new. Worst of all, it was unreliable, there were times when I could go for days without being able to access groups because the the server was unreachable. Tried both the "free" $3.95 account and (stupidly) thought the paid service would be better. e-mail to support was most often not answered, or when it was answered, the answer had little relevance to the related problem.

Supernews supplies a large number of ISPs. I got an account with them about 18 months ago and love it. Incredible retention, no service outages. Well worth the cost, for me.

Supernews is the best - besides the retention and the uptime, they have a very effective spam filter, and because their admins actually care about Usenet, they also filter trolls and other impediments to civilized discourse.
Newsguy is also good with respect to spam filtering, etc. But they have a thin pipe to the outside world, so they're slow as molasses for binaries.
Giganews is good if you really care about binaries, but they're weaker about keeping the discussion groups clean.
Altopia is good if you are or like trolls.
John
I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but the Google "remember my password" is only good for two weeks and then you have to re-enter it. If you don't you won't see your "starred" topics.
Dave
Although irritating, it is free, and yes, you do lose the groups you are monitoring after two weeks or so. Easy enough to reset.
Also, from time to time maintenance and redesign issues scrog the data on this service... note that it is still marked as BETA on the logo.
Free is only so good sometimes....
I know I have to re-enter my password, but this is the first time it's really forgotten what groups I'm reading and cleared my starred topics.
Does anyone know how to use Mozilla Thunderbird to read this newsgroup? I tried to set it up, but it said rec.woodworking was not valid or could not be found or something. Or, are Teranews or Gravity (or any other free/very cheap newsreaders) available for both Mac and PC? Thanks, Andy
Andy wrote:

Mozilla (or Netscape etc) can be used to read/respond/create msgs to any of the newsgroups, however you still have to use a real ISP to do so as you have to tell it what server to connect to and what type of connection it is. I've been using Netscape for years now, works great. Same kind of setup needed to do email but NG's are a seperate entity. John

I'm currently using readfreenews.net and Xnews for my news access. Once I figured out how to log in, posting has not been a problem. (You do have to sign up but it's totally free... No binaries, though.)
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

Hi all, I haven't been here much lately. My health is just fine, but good ol' Earthlink decided to cut off my access to newsgroups. Earthlink does not offer any kind of high speed connectivity where I live, so I use a Charter Comm. cable link. The reason Earthlink gave had something to do with my not using their high speed stuff. Great reasoning.
I had been using Netscape news reader and thinking about switching to Mozilla. I am currently using Google which works OK I guess. I can't seem to get a.b.p.f or .w however. Does google support those or am I doing a recto-cranial inversion.
I also need to find a better ISP. Anybody out there support email and news?
grumble, jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

still have Thunderbird pointed there. Requires a valid email address to sign up but it's free. I sometimes have to login with userid and password several times a day, but that's minor for the resonse. Joe

Who is your internet provider?
Andy wrote:

I use it. Works well if your ISP provides newsgroups which mine does.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Beta is only so long sometimes, too. This one seems to be stuck.
Charlie Self wrote:

Could you explain?
I've been using Google to accesss UseNet ever since they picked up DejaNews' archives. I've never subscribed to anything. SInce you can read and post without subscribing, what does 'subscribing' to a newsgroup do for you?
What is 'membership' in a newsgroup? What got dumped?
--

FF

I'm guessing that google stores your info, as opposed to something like Agent or Outhouse Express, which stores your info on your computer.. If so, you're kind of at their mercy.. Sort of like Yahoo email.. sort of sucks, but ya get what ya pay for..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing