Gluing top on table-wood movement?

A few weeks ago I posted about gluing the top on a table, and the unanimous response was that it was a mistake; wood movement would damage it down the road.
If the sides are matched to the top in grain direction (the side are vertical and the front and back are horizontal) why would wood movement be more of an issue than on any other joint where the grain matches? I would sincerely appreciate an explanation of that.
I am planning another table. All large pieces (top, shelves, sides) will be plywood trimmed with solid edges where they show. Is wood movement an issue there (I can't see why it should be, since everything will expand equally) ?
toller wrote:

I really cannot picture a table where grain direction is matched to the top. The apron has grain running horizontal all the way around, which means it will be cross grain on two sides. Do you have a picture?

Plywood can probably be safely considered movement free from the point of the design.
PK

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/table.jpg
The grain on the backruns the same as the top, as do the sides. I intended on using pocket screw in the legs to hold the top on, but it turned out not to be possible.
toller wrote:

Ah, indeed it is. This is quite unusual table design; normally all apron grain runs horizontal as the "normal" apron is narrower then you have used. Hence, when you say you have a "table" and ask about attaching the top, people assume the normal cross grain situation. I can't see any specific reason why attaching the top down all the way around won't work in your case. Perhaps someone else can.
PK