Gluing raised panel doors

I have problem assembling and gluing raised panel doors. The center panel seems to slip towards the side I attach it to first. I usually leave 1/8" gap for each side across the grain.

Balls, or weatherstripping, to hold the panel in place. Do a Google search; it's been discussed here several times in the recent past, and there's lots of information available.

The center panel should float i.e. no glue. Usually I assemble the 2 sides and bottom rail with glue, then slide in the panel, add the top rail, glue that joint and clamp it all up.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw - Triton Powered Respirator - Veritas Power Tool Guide - Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo ------------------------------------------------------------
CMT sells little rubber-like strips (Panalign strips I think they call them.) that hold the panel in place but still allow for movement.
They also serve to center the panel. They work great!
Rob

A small dowel (1/16-1/8"diam) centered in the groove of your top and bottom rail, and a small "V" notch in the top and bottom center of your panel, centers the panel during glue-up, and allows for equalized seasonal movement.
Cheap, dirty, foolproof.
Cheers,
aw

centered and then pin in place w/ dowels top and bottom.. Your way seems much simpler - gonna try it!
Why not just a dab of glue in the center? It will stop the center from moving and still allow even expansion side to side.
Len -----------
A Dubya wrote:

What will that do to movement top and bottom, and why bother?
Bill.
Nothing. Movement along the grain is infinitesimal.
It will, however, obviate the need for "space balls" or such, and keep things from rattling.

Hey Len,

The dowels keep things centered permanently, are traditional, only take a few minutes to install, and will never fail over time.
Spaceballs? Weather stripping? A drop a of glue etc? All will work fine, I suppose..........
Cheers,
aw