Gluing raised panel doors

I have problem assembling and gluing raised panel doors. The center panel seems to slip towards the side I attach it to first. I usually leave 1/8" gap for each side across the grain.

Reply to
Alexander Galkin

Don't attach the panel to either side. Use a flexible spacer such as Space Balls, or weatherstripping, to hold the panel in place. Do a Google search; it's been discussed here several times in the recent past, and there's lots of information available.

Doug Miller

The center panel should float i.e. no glue. Usually I assemble the 2 sides and bottom rail with glue, then slide in the panel, add the top rail, glue that joint and clamp it all up.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set

- GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw

- Triton Powered Respirator

- Veritas Power Tool Guide

- Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo

SawEyes

CMT sells little rubber-like strips (Panalign strips I think they call them.) that hold the panel in place but still allow for movement.

They also serve to center the panel. They work great!

Rob

Reply to
Rob

A small dowel (1/16-1/8"diam) centered in the groove of your top and bottom rail, and a small "V" notch in the top and bottom center of your panel, centers the panel during glue-up, and allows for equalized seasonal movement.

Cheap, dirty, foolproof.

Cheers,

aw

Reply to
A Dubya

Nice idea! I usually assemble, then tap side of door until panel centered and then pin in place w/ dowels top and bottom.. Your way seems much simpler - gonna try it!

Reply to
jev

What will that do to movement top and bottom, and why bother?

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Why not just a dab of glue in the center? It will stop the center from moving and still allow even expansion side to side.

Len

-----------

A Dubya wrote:

Reply to
Leonard Lopez

Nothing. Movement along the grain is infinitesimal.

It will, however, obviate the need for "space balls" or such, and keep things from rattling.

Reply to
George

Hey Len,

The dowels keep things centered permanently, are traditional, only take a few minutes to install, and will never fail over time.

Spaceballs? Weather stripping? A drop a of glue etc? All will work fine, I suppose..........

Cheers,

aw

Reply to
A Dubya