Gluing Painted Wood Question

I am building some garage shelves. I am going to prime and paint the wood before assembling the shelves. My question is this: I am going to be attaching some decorative trim pieces with glue. Should I leave the glue surfaces unpainted for optimal adhesion? Or will the glue work just as well on a painted surface?
Thanks, S.

Yes No
Scraper wrote:

use latex caulking for the glue.

No Yes
Now you've got short answers going both ways<g>. And the real answer is that it probably makes no difference. What is "optimal adhesion"? If the trim needs to just stay on, paint first is okay. If the trim pieces will be bearing weight (e.g., screwing hooks into the trim, from which you will hang heavy objects), then better to glue bare wood.

If the pieces are light weight you can glue or double stick carpet tape the pieces on.