gluing painted surfaces

Hello,
New to the group. I have a question about surface preparation for gluing. My wife bought one of those unfinished kits (boot bench for entryway) and painted most all surfaces already. In order to glue this together, do I need to sand the paint off or will I get an acceptable result on the paint? Thank you.
Mike
You'll need to get back to bare wood. You might consider scraping to get the paint off, usually its is faster than sanding. Most glues don't stick well to paint and even if they did you still be limited by the bond of the paint to the wood.

Thank you for your help.
MIke