Gluing MDF panels together

See:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

Since the top only needs some adherence to keep the two pieces of mdf together, I wasn't concerned that the glue was even or that there was squeeze out. I just drizzled the glue on and did a quick spreading with a putty knife. I put on the top and found that as soon as the two pieces went together, it was like I used contact cement. It wouldn't budge. I had a very small gap at a place or two, but it was negligible as far as the top went. Also, I applied plastic lam to all sides. If you apply glue, let it dry, then apply another coat before putting the two pieces together (as another poster mentioned), it will give you time to apply clamping cauls. Make one piece the correct size and the other oversize, then trim it flush later with a router.

For my next router table, I will build a really sturdy frame, sort of like a torsion box, that is mortise and tenoned with four crosspieces (allow room for the router). Then I will apply one layer of mdf to this. I believe this will stay flatter longer than two layers of mdf over time. Of course, care must be taken to make the frame flat at glue up.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

anyone tried this method?

I've done exactly that, using a 3 or 4-inch trim roller. It works very well. As the glue soaks into the MDF you just go back and roll on some more. After a couple coats it'll stop absorbing.

John Carlson

Boy are you making a simple job difficult! Get some good contact cement (the stuff with SOLVENT) --Weldwood will do, and use a roller to apply TWO coats to each piece. Carefully align and press together as the instructions state on the can. Not too soon, and not to late. :) It isn't gonna come apart...

Don't do this job around a source of ignition.

David

Poseid> I am in the process of constructing a router table using ¾? MDF for the

Reply to
David

Just did some of that with 2 pieces of MDF for a small workbench. For a face joint the particular glue isn't too important so I just used cheap white glue. Used a roller to quickly apply a very light coat to each piece and gave it an hour to dry (sealing the MDF surface). Then put a heavier coat on one piece and a couple of positioning angles on two long corners so I wouldn't have to fuss getting them even.

At this po>I am in the process of constructing a router table using ¾" MDF for the case and

tabletop. The case was completed with little problem or fanfare. I cut two sections for the top and spread PVA glue over the surface of one of the panels. I tried to spread the glue evenly with a spatula and had difficulty spreading it. To further complicate matters it appeared the MDF was absorbing the glue. I opted to drizzle glue over the remainder of the piece (about ¼ of the area) and let gravity help spread the glue. I assumed (big mistake) that the glue would spread out when weight was applied on top. I stacked two coolers filled with water on top and placed the cabinet case atop of that. I then put a couple of boxes of ceramic tile on the case for good measure. I knew I was in trouble when I saw glue being squeezed out sporadically around the pieces. After letting it dry 2 days I uncovered the mess. As I feared there is a gap on one side where the glue did not spread. I now have a new top for my

evenly coat the panel. Has anyone tried this method? Any other ideas? I have considered trying more weight but shy of parking a car on it, I don't have a clue what I could use. Again, any Ideas?

Reply to
GerryG

You might pick up some relevant tips by watching the free video at

Its about veneering on MDF but the gluing principals using a paint roller probably apply.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Excellent video! Thank you so much..

-Mike

Reply to
Poseidon

Thank you all for responding! I appreciate the inputs. I will post pix when I get done.

-Mike

Reply to
Poseidon