Gluing cedar

Page 2 of 2
On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:13:06 AM UTC-5, SonomaProducts.com wrot e:

went to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new. I didn't clamp it but y ou had to wriggle in the piece because the joint was fairly tight. I've rar ely worked with cedar. Is it resistant to yellow wood glue?

re as part of the curing process. Otherwise there is no assurance you get m uch bond. Sounds like no pressure in this situation. I would use something like system 3 T-88 epoxy. No pressure required per-se.
Thanks. I'm going to make another joint, bring it in the house, and clamp u p a little bit. I do not enjoy working with gorilla glue.
On 9/18/13 11:13 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I just un-clamped some cedar boards that I edged glued into panels for shelves. They were very dry boards on which I ripped fresh edges and joined, three-wide, with regular yellow Elmers carpenter glue, tightly clamped with good parallel clamps.
First inspection: everything is normal, glue is dried and boards are staying together, tightly. I'll report back if anything changes.
--

-MIKE-

On 9/18/13 1:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

FWIW, I took some cut-off sections of the joined shelf boards I made and bent then until they broke. They broke in the middle of the board and not at the glue joint, as I've experienced with every other species with which I've done this same experiment.
--

-MIKE-

"Michael" wrote in message

I've not had problems gluing eastern red cedar (juniper)... I cut the trees down, sawed them, dried the boards for 1-8 years before use, and glued them with yellow glue.
A question/thought.
Was the dry joint tight enough that it could have essentially wiped the glue off as the pieces were pressed together during assembly?
I'm thinking that if the dry fit was tight and the wood very dry that perhaps you needed to apply glue to all glue surfaces of both boards so that glue was in fact in the joint when it was pressed together. By coating all surfaces of both boards the glue would have time to soak in to both boards a bit prior to assembly and not leave you with a glue starved joint.
John
On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:15:48 PM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Hi John,
That's a great point. I'm going to try acetone, warmer temps, and more and better spread glue. Appreciate the input from everyone.
Mike
"Michael" wrote: Hi John,

------------------------------------------------------- Given proper surface prep, properly fitted joints, adequate clamping, and temps above 60F, about the only real advantage of epoxy over yellow glue is open pot time.
Yellow glue has about 10 minutes at best while laminating epoxy with slow hardener has at least 25 min at 77F.
Glad to see you learned your lesson about Gorilla glue.
IMHO, it is garbage.
Have fun.
Lew
On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 19:08:08 -0700 (PDT), Michael

I bought a flat bed load of western (mill pond) cedar back in the late 70's and I still have some. I've used both epoxy and titebond and never had problems. It was all rough lumber so was always jointed and planed prior to gluing. Never used acetone and always had good luck cedar will definitely break before the glue joint. More then likely the low temperature is at fault.
Mike M
Try roughing up with glasspaper, keeping away from the edges, gives you a strong key for the glue.
Wipe down with acetone, allow to dry then apply glue