Gluing boards for bed rail

I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough stock to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will they be strong enough for a bed rail?

Reply to
kuku

o make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will they= be strong enough for a bed rail?

If the boards are deep(wide =3D greater dimension) enough, yes. If they're not deep enough, no.

Deep enough in this case is probably a nominal 1x6 (3/4"x5.5"), with the actual laminated dimension being 1.5" x 5.5" With doubled 1x4s the thing would sag and bounce.

RicodJour

Anything less than 6" wide side rails would look ugly and cheap, also, and will be weak (as R said). Agreed, 2X6 stock would be strong enough.

Reply to
Sonny

agreed, doubled up 1x4 with angle iron making the lip, shouldn't move much at all

Reply to
ChairMan

That would certainly be stiff enough, but the OP didn't mention steel. He asked a wood question and I gave him a wood answer. You're also assuming there's a box spring. The OP didn't provide specifics and might be planning on using some 1x slats to support the mattress.

If he were willing to use steel and there was a box spring, then he should just buy a steel bed frame. It'd be less expensive and less time consuming and it would be covered so it wouldn't be seen. If that were the case I'd think the OP would be asking about how to make just head and foot boards.

If the thing is going to be seen, I agree with Sonny - skinny bed rails look chintzy.

RicodJour

You're assuming 'normal' for a REC post...? That was good for a chortle. ;)

RicodJour

You're assuming 'normal' for a REC post...? That was good for a chortle. ;)

Yea well, ya gotta have sumpthin to put the mattress on, they just don't float on air. And yes, skinny rails do look chintzy, but as you pointed out the OP didn't specify much other than gluing 3/4 up. So for ASSumption sake, we're all just assumin

Reply to
ChairMan

n message

boards using wood

t;x5.5"), with

=A0With doubled 1x4s

angle iron frames

No box spring. I make a lip by gluing and screwing 2 pieces of 2" strips of= plywood and the mattress support itself by poplar 1 X 6 boardsbetween the = lips.

I actually made a couple of beds this way but I always has 1 1/2" stock for= rails and posts.

I do not want to use any metal.

Reply to
kuku

ock to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue= will they be strong enough for a bed rail?

I plan to glue two 1" X 8" boards so actual rail and post dimension would b= e 1 1/2" X 7 1/2 " less 1/16" probably for sanding,

Reply to
kuku

be 1 1/2" X 7 1/2 " less 1/16" probably for sanding,

That'd work, but it's heavier than you need. A 1x8 on edge is plenty stiff vertically all by it's lonesome. In your situation I'd rip one of the 1x8s down to get two or three equal pieces and laminate one piece to the lower edge of each 1x8 to create the ledger. That would beef up the lateral stiffness and you'd have a 1x8 left over for another project.

RicodJour

Geez... thinking back a number of decades a sagging and bouncing bed could be viewed as a benefit in some circumstances.... ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

He was asking the hell whether a piece of laminated wood was as strong as a solid piece of wood of the same dimension.

RicodJour

:

In the original post he asked about laminating strength. In your reply where you asked what the hell he was asking about, you quoted a later post by the OP where he said he'd built beds before with thicker lumber. I didn't have any information you didn't. In any event, he got his answer and everyone is happy.

RicodJour

Until it gives way. ...happened to a friend on their wedding night. It was quite embarrassing, "Hello, room service...". She said she hid in the bathroom when they delivered the new bed.

Reply to
krw

And no doubt the groom was acting proud as hell when the new bed was delivered.

RicodJour

make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will they be strong enough for a bed rail?

Solid wood? Sure, in fact it'll give you some freedom to choose grain that's pretty for the outer board, and will make knots less of a structural issue (as long as the two boards don't have overlapping knots, of course).

It simplifies the step that holds the box springs, too; just offset the two boards. Fill in the step you see from outside, with some decorative molding.

I'd predrill for screws, and use a dozen or two to clamp the joint, rather than trying to find clamps for the whole length.

Reply to
whit3rd

Yeah, but they said they'd just gotten to the room an plopped down on it when it gave way. Of course, when he told the story everyone in the room said "sssuuurrrreee, riiigghhhttt" (except his wife, who whacked him).

Reply to
krw

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:54:42 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Instant story stuff to add to the family archives. Could do worse.

Reply to
Dave

Yes, if they were wide enough and and short enough. But why not just buy some dimensional lumber?

Reply to
Larry W