Gluing Acrlic's

I just received two 4'x4'x1/4" Acrylite sheets for free and I was wanting to make a router plate with some of it. Thinking of using two pieces and gluing them together for strength. Believe a 1/2" of clear acrylic would be strong enough to hold a router. I've tried to glue this stuff before with ca but it didn't hold. What would you guys suggest? I would like it to be something clear so I could see through the acrylic. I assume some kind of epoxy.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Just because you got it for free doesn't mean you should use it! Gluing acrylic face to face is not going to get you a transparent router base. Better to buy a small square of 1/2" stuff. It will be cheaper than the epoxy and work lots better. Ask your supplier for the toughest clear stuff you can get. Plain sheet acrylic isn't going to last very long before it becomes opaque through wear.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

A buddy here suggests 12mm Tuffak CM2 as the ideal plastic, fwiw.

Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Tap Plastics carries what you need: Acylic Cement. Not a great material for a router plate, though...

dave

Rich wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Ernie Jurick, decides to chip in.

Ernie, is this Polycarbonate easily available? I went to the link but I doubt they are interested in selling in a small quantity.

Rich

Reply to
Rich