glueing veneered MDF

What is the proper adhesive and procedure for glueing up some 3/4 veneered MDF? The veneer is so thin that if I tried to clean up any squeeze-out I will probably ruin the veneer. The joints will be mitered. Either I am looking in the wrong spots but after a google search I found nothing helpful.

thanks!

pierce

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Just use contact cement. Put on both surfaces - wait until it gets tacky and press together.

Reply to
Rob V

"Rob V" wrote in news:dH4tf.2145$M% snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

The joints are rather long. Each is over 7 ft in length.

Somehow spreading contact cement with a brush isn't going to cut it.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

G'day Pierce, If I read this right - you have 3/4" veneered MDF board and intend to make right angled joints that will mitred !!. I have done quite a bit of work with veneered board, both chippy and MDF. The norm is to glue it with PVA and wipe any excess with a damp cloth (Damp not wet) Now for the hard part, the corner. What ever you do do not sand that corner with anything greater than 120g. Only touch it so as to put a small arris on the corner and remove the sharpness. To sand the flat use a sanding block, either cork or a shop bought one. A scraper can come in handy to, but keep it flat, especially when close to the corners. While doing my apprenticeship this was the hardest type of joint to learn to do properly and it has been the hardest to teach to apprentices. These days, my preferred route would be to use 3/4" filler strip of matching or contrasting timber in the corners, either dowel or biscuit the board to it. hope this helps a bit. Just take you time and all should be well

regards John

Reply to
John B

Some of us use a short nap roller on large surfaces.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

John B wrote in news:cs8tf.132098$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

Thanks for the tips. Gives me a fair amount to consider. Maybe some edge banding would be part of the solution as well. I am not sure I can handle either but the filler strip sounds quite doable.

thanks

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Use a roller.

I did an entertainment/wall unit that was 12 feet long that had mahogany veneer on it. Just roll it out.

Also - if you need to joint it at all - sandwich the 2 mating between 2 pieces of MDF and use a flush trim bit to get a nice flat joint.

Reply to
Rob V

If you are going to use a finish that has a volatile that will effect the veneer adhesive [such as laquer,laquer thinner with contact cement] then just use a glue such as tightbond .

Use the thickest veneer you can get this will facilitate sanding ,scraping etc to get a decent finish .

As far as corners go most finishers recommend rounding most sharp edges as the finishes tend to migrate from sharp edges. To solve this problem I usually edge the MDF with wood the same species as the veneer. I use a router cutter with a bearing a rebate in the MDF and edging material and spline them together, this method guarantees a perfect fit. So now veneer over the whole and when you mitre the corners they can be rounded over with appearance of the whole thing being solid wood.

I have used this procedure recently and built a vacuum press which produced very good results . If interested try joewoodworker.com.....

Reply to
mike hide