Glue-up jig - how to make non-stick?

I need to make some jigs to glue up a bunch of small parts. I need the jigs to assure alignment and square and to speed up construction. I was hoping to get the jigs made out of delrin or nylon, something the glue wouldn't stick to. Failing that, and if I have to make the jigs out of wood, how can I keep the jigs from getting stuck to the parts. I'm working with a variety of woods. Most of the time I'll be using alephatic resin glue (titebond or similar), but may have to use polyurathane (gorilla glue) or CA (crazy glue type stuff) for some of the exotics. Any ideas what finish/wax I can use to keep the glue from sticking? I don't know if a conventional mold release type agent would work, I'm worried about something like that soaking into the wood and either ruining the finish or getting into the joint and keeping the glue from setting up properly.

Reply to
Dan Major

Just finish them w/ and wax...nothing except the CA-types will stick.

I typically just use a sheet of wax paper in between to make it even easier cleanup, however...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Wax paper works pretty well for this, and I've heard that packing tape also does the trick.

-John

Reply to
John Girouard

You could try melamine board. Titebond, anyway, doesn't stick to it. Not sure about Gorilla Glue or CA.

Reply to
Doug Miller

| I need to make some jigs to glue up a bunch of small parts. I need | the jigs to assure alignment and square and to speed up | construction. I was hoping to get the jigs made out of delrin or | nylon, something the glue wouldn't stick to.

Dan...

Follow the link below for one approach that's served me well for glue-ups using Titebond. It provides good alignment for box-like constructions - and I've never managed to glue it to the work.

Morris Dovey

Dan I wrap projects in "saran wrap". You can buy industrial size rolls - works like a charm and doesn't affect glue time or clamping pressure. I also line all the clamps with cork - it will still bond, but the two in combination are guaranteed.

my 2-cents Schroeder

Reply to
Schroeder

Dunno about actual "Gorilla Glue", but Titebond polyurethane glue works great with it. CA on melamine may not be structurally sound but certainly sticks to it too much for OP's purposes.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

"works great with it" meaning glues it effectively, or releases? In my experimental butt joint of melamine laminated MDF to a face of melamine, it held so effectively that the melamine delaminated when I managed to break the joint.

Reply to
alexy

1) Shellac followed by a thin, well-buffed-out coat of paste wax. Made the mistake of doing a workbench that way, and had to re level it so everything didn't just slide off. But glue releases very well. (Not sure about CA, though. But can remove it with acetone, I believe.) 2) wax paper, but I'd avoid putting it where your workpiece rubs, as you don't want the wax getting on your work. And it will--anyone else here old enough to remember waxing the back yard sliding board with wax paper?
Reply to
alexy

"alexy" wrote

When I was a kid, we had a huge, metal slide at out school. We brought sandwiches to school wrapped in wax paper. We would save the wax paper and bring it out to the slide. Just slide the wax paper under our butts and rocket down the slide. Do this enough times and we could improve the kid velocity beyond any measure of safety!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Ahh... memories!!

Reply to
alexy

"alexy" wrote

If this was done today, the kids would probably be locked up as terrorists! It would be considered a form of child endangerment. Lawyers would salivate thinking about big money lawsuits.

Come to think of it, hasn't all playgound equipment shrunk considerably since we were kids? What would be the chance of finding a large metal slide these days?

And we were just kids having fun!!

Is fun for kids outlawed now?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I keep a roll of wax paper in the shop for just this reason. For a high-use permanent jig, perhaps you could laminate or use melamine-coated PB. Wax works OK but you will have to reapply it periodically.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

And as someone once suggested here on the wreck, use wax paper to quickly wax a plane sole or tablesaw top.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

My dad told me that, when he was a kid, he'd wrap a cat's paws in wax paper and send it sliding onto the kitchen floor. Lots of fun watching it try to stand up.

Reply to
Brian Siano

Lee Michaels wrote: ...

Yeah, I've watched w/ disgust on the TV news the neutering of Wichita playgrounds by the correctness police... :( They took out the "rocket tower" that had been in a park since the early 60's a couple years ago and this summer destroyed all the concrete climbing animal figures, all of which had been there from at least that long ago. The supposed justification was they had had some lead-based paint at some distant time and by scraping on the bottoms and other inaccesible places they had managed to remove a tiny scraping or two... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Lawrence Wasserman wrote: ...

Sorta' works, but much quicker to simply use the wax directly for that aaplication imo...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

being lazy, I've always put blue masking tape on the jig... makes cleanup easy and it doesn't throw off the fit if the tape is applied smoothly.... Mac

03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears
Reply to
mac davis

I'll build you one...

There is a 200' version in Saranac NY at a Young Life camp. They wet it down and you go down backwards, head first onto the lake and hydroplane across the surface for a good 15' or so...

I did it ONCE. That was enough.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Sorry, that's what I meant: the glue "worked great", as in "stuck like glue".

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud