Glue Up - High Anxiety

Along the journey from rough sketch to finished project, there usually is a way of recovering from a mistep. Glue up isn't one of them.
Glue up can be HIGH ANXIETY!
Even more than selecting and applying the final finish on a piece, for me, glue up is the most stressful part of making furniture (or kid toys or boxes for that matter). There are so many potential pitfalls and almost no way to get out of most of those pits. The clock starts ticking with the application of that first bead of glue and the window of opportunity for correcting misteps starts closing
All the parts have to fit together properly, snug, but not overly tight
be oriented correctly, corners that are supposed to be square should be square
Glue has to be where it's suppose to be AND NOT where it isn't suppose to be
Things may have to go together in a specific order or ALL the parts CANT be put together
The right clamps, in sufficient numbers, have to be close enough at hand, but not in the way
Glue applicators have to be ready and the right ones, as well as THE GLUE.
A Square to verify that what you think is square is square
Once the glue up process starts it's a race against the clock, tic-toc, gravity and ones attention span.
Like playing chess glue up requires thinking several moves ahead while NOT skipping the next one
Of course there are things one can do to increase the likelyhood of success.
A Marking Method so you know which piece goes where and in what orientation
A Dry Run to work out bugs BEFORE any glue is applied
Once you start theres no turning back. Commit and make the leap checking as you go. Tighten this, loosen that, check and move on.
Tomorrow youll know if things went well or not.
GLUE UP Some Assembly Required (batteries not included)
charlie b
Charlie - there is a folder within my Newsreader - Wrecked Wisdom
This message is now there...
TY
Mike

snipped
I dont agree. If you glue up panels and leave a 1/2" width for later trimming, there is nothing to prevent you from ripping the gluedup panels apart and starting over.
JLucas ILS wrote:

There's ALWAYS the option of cutting the glued up piece apart to salvage some of the part. On a paneled door, cuttiing off a rail or stile would still mean using a loose tenon joint to recover or you could make the door narrower or shorter but ...
What prompted my post was part of my bench glue up - the internal through drawers guides sepcifically - 12 guides, two tenons per end, two ends. That's 48 tenons to fit in 48 mortises. The first image on this page shows what was involved.
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MT/CBbench17.html
And jo4hn wrote:

How could I have forgotten THE MALLET? CTSBTF - Cut To Size, Beat To Fit - a new one to add to the groups Acronyms list? In my case it's typically the 1 or 3 pound rubber coated dead blow hammer.
Steve Turner wrote:

Yeah right. Normally, "tongue in cheek" implies both are part of the same person - but in Bubba's case ...

Haven't tried the Titebond II Extended -isn't it just a less viscous/watered down version of Titebond? For tricky glue ups I use Liquid Hide Glue and warm it up if I want it runnier. Since I hate dealing with drips I try to avoid runny glue.
For anyone who wants to read the genesis of my post here's the url for The Rest of The Story
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MT/CBbench18.html
charlie b
I stand corected. The scope of that project changes things totally. The only answer is to get it right ass you go the first time...which it appears you have done.
charlie b wrote:

[snip]
Exquisite. One more thing:
The search for the *^$#)# mallet must have been brought to a successful completion.
    mahalo,     jo4hn
Oh yeah. In my best "Darrell Hammond as Bill Clinton" voice: "I feel your pain". :-)
I presume you've tried "Titebond II Extend"? I for one have been buying more of that and less "Titebond II" lately. The new Titebond III ain't bad either, and I'd probably buy more if Franklin wasn't so damn proud of the stuff!
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.