Glue Rcommendation - Cutting Board

Page 1 of 2
I recently got 60 feet of 1.5" x 3" hard maple for free. I decided to make a rather large cutting/chopping board. What is the consensus on the best glue for this application?
TIA,
--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
I always use elmers (or equivalent) white glue. They're milk based, and are safe for food items. As long as your not doing a soak in hot water, the glue will hold. Long exposure to water can make it let go.....
I've got a couple in my kitchen that Im ade 5-6 years ago, and they're holding together fine...
YMMV --JD

make a rather large cutting/chopping board. What is the

know
says...

Milk based???? I doubt it. That would make it a casein glue, wouldn't it? I thought it was a polyvinyl compound.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Uh, where did you get the information that white glue is milk based?
Leon responds:

Heh. Casein glue is. White glue is a form of polyvinyl acetate, and there just ain't many cows giving off major amounts of that.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

just
May be he was associating Borden's with milk... If that was true, the Rain Dance wax that I used on my car may have been milk based as Borden's at one time had its name on the container.

Rain
one
The glue from contented cows?
Agki

-
I believe white glue is made from animal bones and cartilage, hooves and horns, sometimes hide and all coming from the meat industry. Not milk.
Alex
That sounds a lot like hide glue to me. Wilson

are
glue
horns,

I believe you both are mistaken.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
"Al Reid" writes:

make a rather large cutting/chopping board. What is the

Not absolutely necessary but my choice would be epoxy.
After it is cured, it is inert, waterproof, and the joints won't fail.
Lew
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:59:11 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Ditto. I'm thinking of trying Titebond 3 on one though, just to see how it holds up.
JP
I have a bottle of Titebond 2. Do you thing it will hold up?
--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
Sure. Titebond 2 or 3 will be fine.
Dave

I dun think so, Titebond 2 is "water resistance" and TItebond 3 is "water proof".
Woodcraft stock Titebond 3 last week, I bought a bottle to try, and the saleperson asked me to let him know the result after I use it.

Hmmm...I smell a Product Test in the offing. We've got T1, 2 and 3 at the shop, so mebbe I'll glue up some test joints and see how they fair under various (wet) conditions.
I'm thinking about gluing several sets of two .75x2x6" boards together with a 3" overlap. I'll then let the boards cure for at least the recommended time period and then soak them for a period of time. Last step will be to clamp one in a vise and figure out some way of testing the load limit.... Any suggestions? I'd prefer to have somewhat meaningful results.
JP
One suggestion comes to mind here. Instead of simply a load limit, a failure under constant stress might (maybe) apply more. I'm thinking of three exaggerated cauls, each glued together, then a screw threaded in one piece applying tension against the other. You could then leave them soak for days or weeks, checking once in a while. The idea here (unlike the load limit) is that the water will first soften the exposed glue line, and subsequent stress will cause that part of the bond to fracture, allowing water to penetrate further and repeat the process.
In either case, I'd be very interested in your results. GerryG

Please post your results as I am quite interested in them. I am looking for the best glue for this application and can asfford to wait. My goal is to have it completed by late august when the tomatoes, jalepinos and tomatillos are ripe and ready for salsa making.
TIA,
--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
Care to send me some as I did not plant any this year:-)?

"Al Reid writes:

for the best glue for this application and can asfford to

<snip>
After epoxy, it's all down hill.
Lew