glue question for wet wood

I've been asked to build a wood gate for one of my builders out of western red cedar. The wood is green with alot of moisture content. Allowing it to dry isn't an option due to time constraints. I was wondering what sort of glue would be best to use. I plan to peg the tendons to help keep it together as the wood dries and shrinks.

A good urethane glue might do the trick.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Woodworking Techniques & Projects - Kreg Right Angle Clamp - Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw - Dowelmax Doweling System - Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill ------------------------------------------------------------

then I believe you misunderstand the situation. *Not* allowing it to dry isn't an option due to time constraints. If you think you don't have the time to do it right, you *definitely* don't have the time to do it *over*.

Gorilla glue or other polyurethane type will work.
the only thing that works on wet wood is a good construction adhesive. but in this case it sure does not sound like it will work at all.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
I would have thought polyurethane would've done the trick. See how much experience I have working green wood? zippo, nada I learn something new all the time.

well it may stick but it does not have the flex to handle shrinking wood like wet wood. not much does.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Don't glue it, peg it. If it shrinks as it dries, it'll break whatever glue you use.
Greetings,
Given you have green wood and mortise and tenon joints, you should consider draw bored mortise and tenon joints. See this URL for more information:
http://www.greenwoodworking.com/draw.htm
Sincerely, Bill Thomas
mel wrote:

thanks for your imput. To clarify, the "green" cedar I'm using is "green" by industry standards...it's not fresh cut and it's all that's availible. Currently the boards are at 25% moisture content. One of the characteristics of cedar is that it's very stable with little dimensional change during drying. I've built many projects using mechanical fasteners that have withstood the test of time using this "green" wood. A side note, cedar contains chemicals that's very corrosive to fasteners so a coated or galvanized fastener is a must. The gate I'm building will be held together by pegged mortise and tendon joints. The tendons will be undercut just enough to allow shrinkage of the mortise. I'll post a pic after it's finished. Once again thanks for your imput. Mel