Glue Query

What is a trade/brand name for the brown colored "slow drying" glue that David Marks likes to use for all his lamination (and other) work?
Thanks
--
Mark

Are you refering to "Hide" Glue?
Bill

Probably Franklin's Titebond Hide Glue.
http://www.american-woodworking.com/adhesives.html
Some good info here by Jeff Jewitt
http://www.antiquerestorers.com/Articles/jeff/repairing_furniture_joints.htm
Bob S.

Definitely not. Franklin's Titebond Hide : "Its sensitivity to moisture allows for easy disassembly of parts."
errrrrr Brian.... that's one of the good points about hide glue...it's reversible, it has some elasticity and prior to the 40's was used exclusively in woodworking - so its been around awhile. Don't know if that is what David Marks uses or not, just offered it up as an idea with some urls for the poster to look at and learn about hide glue.
So why do you say - "Definitely not?".
Bob S.

Because its definitely not what Marks is using, which is what the original question was asking... And in his applications, the objective is high bond strength with slow setting time for larger glueups in place of yellow glue.
Brian.

It is a plastic resin glue, available in powder form from, I think, Weldwood. Has a long open time and does not "slip" after drying as can yellow glue. Working time for the mixed glue is a couple of hours.

For a while I thought it was Gorilla glue, but he never seems to moisten the joints. As it turns out, he is actually using urea formaldehyde glues. Weldwood is one, and is a DAP product that is carried by my Lowes store. His website also mentions a product "Urac 185" which is available from www.highlandhardware.com
FYI
Brian.

Plastic resin glue or Urea Formaldehyde glue. Is not hide glue.

I think this might be it. I took classes from David years ago. http://www.vacupress.com/veneerglue.htm Unibond 800. It could also be the stuff you mix with water that is powdered.