Glue on basement workshop floor

Page 2 of 2

I had that problem with a much smaller room. I rented a 5" foot scraper from Home Depot. A lot of work. In the end the glue was scraped off OK, but unsightly glue stains remained.
The solution was to lay creamic tiles.
Your idea of lino would work. An industrial grade should last and, if necessary, could be lino'ed over after a few years of wear.