Glue joint router bit for thick stock

I have 2" thick stock (4-5" wide pine planks) to edge glue. I'm considering a butt joint or a glue joint. I've searched for glue-joint router bits, but the maximum cutter height found was 1.5" which means it is for a board up to 1.5" thick. Does anyone know of a (1/2" shank) glue-joint router bit that will cut 2" thick stock in one pass? TIA

Reply to
Phisherman

Pardon my ignorance but what is a glue joint?

Reply to
efgh

Two or more pieces of material are joined together with glue. The resulting bonded area of the assembly is referred to as a glue joint. ;D

I'll bet he's referring to a finger joint e.g.

Reply to
DS

Ever consider a 1/4" dado and a spline.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with just a straight face glue joint, especially on 2" stock?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"efgh" wrote

A glue joint *bit*:

Max

See:

Nova

I agree a clean jointed face gluing should be strong enough. If you want to add strength and alignment help, a spline would be the ticket.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

No, but even if I did I wouldn't bother using it. A clean, butted edge is plenty strong. If you want the glue joint for alignment, biscuits or a spline would serve as well. Better, in fact, as any little vertical movement would mess up results from the bit. Which is true with any captured bit; i.e., one cutting top and bottom simultaneously.

Reply to
dadiOH