Glue Finish

I've experimented before with 50/50 thinned Titebond II as a finish. Dried pretty quickly, clear, and seemb to be holding up well on the few pieces I've used it on.

I'd made a jig a week or so ago to cut octagons for chess piece bases. I'd been carrying the trial piece around in my pocket to look at occassionally. I'd used a piece of scrap OSB to make it, and one side was pretty smooth, with the other side slightly less smooth. I'd got some Elmers white glue awhile back to 'speerment with (hey, it was 20 cants a bottle at Wally-World), so had thinned some of it too. The Elmers seems to work OK, but I still prefer Titebond II. Also found a couple of bottles of some made in Mongolia, from dead yaks, or somewhere, so figured I'd get some to compare.

The yak glue is a total write off. Multiple coats look good, but they easily peel. Forget that. But the Elmers and the Titebond both give a nice smooth finish. I put multiple coats on both sides of the octagon, and the more coats, the deeper the finish looks. I didn't bother using sandpaper or steel wool between coats, which I think wouold improve the looks a lot, but even so I think it looks probably as good as poly, and is a lot less expensive.

I know the Titebond is diluted 50/50. The Elmers I'm not so sure about, it's definitely thinned, but seems to be thicker than the thinned Titebond. All that means really is I'd need to use more coats of Titebond to get an equal thickness. Could use unthined too, but that usually takes longer to dry. I use thinned to glue paper labels down anyway, find it works a lot btter than the unthinned, so use the thinned version as a finish coat too.

I don't like the smell of the oil-based poly, and the water-based seems to works as well anyway, with a lot easier cleanup. As far as I can tell so far, the thinned Titebond gives as good a finish as the water-base poly, costs less, and seems to be holding up well. I've only been using two coats, but in the future I think I'll try thee or four coats, to see if that's any better, or what.

Oh yeah, I've got a small chunk of the oak flooring my older son gave me in the house, a piece about 3-4 inches long. I tried about 3 coats of the Elmers on the top, and it smoothed it up, and now looks like it was varnished. Not bad. So, now I'm trying the Titebond on the bottom, looks promosing so far. It's like Granny Weatherwas says.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Just don't get it wet...

Reply to
dadiOH

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 9:20pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@guesswhere.com (dadiOH) doth sayeth: Just don't get it wet...

Water-resistant.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

That's a polyvinyl acetate glue (PVA), and PVA finishes are not unknown. The main use isn't a top coat, though, just a primer. After all, it does ... stick... well.

I've used glue as a finish for wood pieces of jigs (and featherboards) so they'd have good friction when clamped. I'm not sure about other uses, though, it has water and heat sensitivity worse than shellac (which is pretty easy and more convenient to apply).

Reply to
whit3rd

JOAT,

I like ya because your a man who will try off the wall stuff.

But, why?

Roy

Reply to
ROYNEU

Thu, Nov 29, 2007, 4:26pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ROYNEU) doth query: I like ya because your a man who will try off the wall stuff. But, why?

It sometimes makes life more interesting to try new things. And fun.

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

Not water proof. And actually not all that water resistant on the surface -- Hot water takes dried "water resistant" yellow glue off of putty knives almost instantly.

*No* finish is as viable as any finish, so long as you don't get the piece dirty. Works for the Japanese.
Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Thu, Nov 29, 2007, 6:21pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ferd=A0Farkel) doth sayeth: *No* finish is as viable as any finish, so long as you don't get the piece dirty. Works for the Japanese.

The same people that eat bait.

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

Thu, Nov 29, 2007, 6:21pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ferd=A0Farkel) doth sayeth: Not water proof. And actually not all that water resistant on the surface -- Hot water takes dried "water resistant" yellow glue off of putty knives almost instantly.

I didn't pay attention to what you said about that, at first. But then realized, I can take dried "water resistant" yellow glue off of putty knives with just a fingernail, no hot water required. Which proves only that wood glue doesn't stick well to metal.

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

Titebond II and III don't come off my Besseys worth a damn unless I keep them waxed. I was kind of surprised, but that stuff sticks remarkably well to metals. And after it does come off it leaves discoloration.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Water melts it off like it was Elmer's School Glue.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Is Japanese food worse than Korean food? I've taken a liking to good Korean kimchi.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Ewwwwwwwwww...

I step up from honey dippers..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

No, it's not worse. We'll eat anything, given the circumstances. However, circumstances can get worse... Tom

Reply to
tom

Ever try Cyanoacrylate Glue and Boiled Linseed Oil. I made replacement handles for some inherited items whose handles were missing or damaged and wanted a very durable high gloss finish. Probably easiest done on small turned parts on a lathe, but with care can be done on other small parts.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Tom Veatch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That would taste nasty!

I read this post after reading the tree starting with Ferd Farkel's post about Japanese and Korean food...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Sat, Dec 1, 2007, 2:43am (EST-1) From: Tom Veatch Ever try Cyanoacrylate Glue and Boiled Linseed Oil. I made replacement handles for some inherited items whose handles were missing or damaged and wanted a very durable high gloss finish.

I'm still putting coats on my test pieces. The more coats, the shinier they get. I'll probably stick with this - hard to glue your fingers together with Titebond.