Glue FAQ?

I have my first big glue up done but in playing with the cutoff pieces I am not very impressed with Gorilla Glue. The joints are certainly not stronger than the wood. Up until now I have always just used yellow carpenter glue with good success but the wood guy said it wasn't that good with the cypress that is next.

Reply to
Gfretwell

This first project was hard maple, milled pretty smooth from Croffwood Mills. I may not have got it wet enough. It was clamped and laid up very tight.

Reply to
Gfretwell

I always spray my wood (very wet) before gluing up. Wierd isn't it?

Reply to
Ramsey

Nope, they were very thin, clear joints. I had it clamped up well. 5 pipe clamps in 24". I think the other poster put his finger right on it. I didn't really get the wood wet enough. I just misted it with a spray bottle and my bet is it didn't penetrate the wood. The glue certainly didn't. I guess that's why you start small. I'm still clawing my way up the learning curve. Many thanks to all who are trying to help me.

Reply to
Gfretwell