Glue Choice

Hi. I am about half way thru building a door frame from a red hardwood verticals and mahogany/sapele horizontal members. I have used a variety of M&T joints and have just tried out the first fitting together of the pieces I have completed so far and it wasn't too bad..my try square seems to like it anyway.
So, on to glue choice. One or two of my tenons suffered a little too much chiselling in the process of making them fit so there is a little bit of wobble in them. So I have a bit of fear that when it come to gluing up I may have a lot less tenon pressing against mortise than I should have and therefore the joint will not be very strong. So is there a glue that is ideal for a job like this? It needs to be for exterior use.
Thanks.
Arthur
Arthur 51 wrote:

Epoxy mixed with cotton flock or milled glass fibers http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cm/thickening.html . Note that the glass fibers if you get them on you are going to itch like crazy.
--John

Yes. I saw some of the filler products on West System's web site. It looks like the answer! Thanks.
Arthur
Arthur

Yes. I saw some of the filler products on West System's web site. It looks like the answer! Thanks.
Arthur
Arthur
"Arthur 51" wrote: .

Use laminating resin, extra slow hardener and micro-balloons for the filler.
No need for other types of fillers.
BTDT
After building a 55 ft boat, don't need the T-Shirt
Lew
A good quality Epoxy?
Hi. I am about half way thru building a door frame from a red hardwood verticals and mahogany/sapele horizontal members. I have used a variety of M&T joints and have just tried out the first fitting together of the pieces I have completed so far and it wasn't too bad..my try square seems to like it anyway.
So, on to glue choice. One or two of my tenons suffered a little too much chiselling in the process of making them fit so there is a little bit of wobble in them. So I have a bit of fear that when it come to gluing up I may have a lot less tenon pressing against mortise than I should have and therefore the joint will not be very strong. So is there a glue that is ideal for a job like this? It needs to be for exterior use.
Thanks.
Arthur

If your tennons are a bit undersized, smooth them up and glue thin shims to them and reshape. Epoxy would be your best bet.
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 04:09:51 -0700, Arthur 51 wrote:

The standard solution to this problem is not glue. Take a piece of veneer and glue to the loose tenon to tighten it.
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 04:09:51 -0700 (PDT), Arthur 51

Fuss with the tenon or mortise to get a good fit--not tight but snug. No glue makes up for a sloppy fit.

My recommendation for glue would be Titebond III. As for the loose tenons, they are a seperate issue and should be shimmed with veneer or suitably sized wedges.