Glue Choice

Hi. I am about half way thru building a door frame from a red hardwood verticals and mahogany/sapele horizontal members. I have used a variety of M&T joints and have just tried out the first fitting together of the pieces I have completed so far and it wasn't too bad..my try square seems to like it anyway.

So, on to glue choice. One or two of my tenons suffered a little too much chiselling in the process of making them fit so there is a little bit of wobble in them. So I have a bit of fear that when it come to gluing up I may have a lot less tenon pressing against mortise than I should have and therefore the joint will not be very strong. So is there a glue that is ideal for a job like this? It needs to be for exterior use.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Epoxy mixed with cotton flock or milled glass fibers

Note that the glass fibers if you get them on you are going to itch like crazy.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A good quality Epoxy?

So, on to glue choice. One or two of my tenons suffered a little too much chiselling in the process of making them fit so there is a little bit of wobble in them. So I have a bit of fear that when it come to gluing up I may have a lot less tenon pressing against mortise than I should have and therefore the joint will not be very strong. So is there a glue that is ideal for a job like this? It needs to be for exterior use.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Kate

If your tennons are a bit undersized, smooth them up and glue thin shims to them and reshape. Epoxy would be your best bet.

Reply to
Leon

fibers

Note that the

I saw some of the filler products on West System's web site. It looks like the answer! Thanks.

Arthur

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

fibers

Note that the

I saw some of the filler products on West System's web site. It looks like the answer! Thanks.

Arthur

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

The standard solution to this problem is not glue. Take a piece of veneer and glue to the loose tenon to tighten it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

"Arthur 51" wrote: .

Use laminating resin, extra slow hardener and micro-balloons for the filler.

No need for other types of fillers.

BTDT

After building a 55 ft boat, don't need the T-Shirt

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Fuss with the tenon or mortise to get a good fit--not tight but snug. No glue makes up for a sloppy fit.

Reply to
Phisherman

My recommendation for glue would be Titebond III. As for the loose tenons, they are a seperate issue and should be shimmed with veneer or suitably sized wedges.

Reply to
Jimbo