Glue brush cleaning jar solution needed.

Page 2 of 2
On 7/20/2012 4:22 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Used to get the acid brushes from Peachtree, back when the woodworking shows were in vogue around here. The last few years I just pick them up at Rockler and have not had any shedding problems, and I do go through a bunch of them.
Agreed, even though I like the silicone glue brush concept, the disposable acid brushes are hard to beat for many glue-up, particularly on smaller parts.
I extend their life by simply putting them in plastic glass half full of water after use, good for around a week on so. When the metal starts rusting, or the water dries up, both go in the trash and it's on to the next.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/20/12 6:08 PM, Swingman wrote:

I bet you sharpen your toothpicks to use again, huh? :-p
--

-MIKE-

I don't have much of a problem with that... an occasional hair yes, bunches no. I typically give a light tug to check for and remove loose bristles as needed. I have also been known to take scissors and even up the ends of the bristles if they aren't close to even and I'm doing "precision gluing." I've also cut the bristles very short at times when trying to put a little glue in a hard to reach place.
I bought a lot of them at Woodworkers Warehouse years ago and they were fine. The last ones I got from Brownell's Gunsmith Supply and they seem fine too. That said, it would not surprise me at all to find that others shed badly...
John
On 7/20/2012 11:03 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

I keep my acid brush/glue spreader outer in a tall hard plastic cup with about 1" of water. I am very familiar with what you are talking about.
If you pour the water out and let the excess evaporate the regular TiteBond type glue will harden and capture the brush. I pull the brush out and the solid hunk of cured glue pops right out. The brush is toast but the cup is fine and clean.
"tiredofspam" wrote in message
I have a jar that I use to clean my brushes, glue rollers and whatever else I use to spread glue.
It's filled with water and gets pretty slimy/gunky at the bottom. If I keep the stuff off the bottom it won't require anything but hitting the stuff with an air gun to dry and then re-use. It gets so scummy quickly that I have to clean them.
I am looking for something that keeps things off the bottom. Preferably _like_ a grid from a flour. light box only way smaller that I can cut to fit in the bottom of the jar.
Anyone got any ideas what I am looking for... ==========================================================================Hardware cloth.
On 7/20/2012 3:48 PM, CW wrote:

Damn, that's probably it. Thanks.
On 7/20/2012 2:48 PM, CW wrote:

It would have to be small enough mesh not to allow for the brush bristles to fall through.
OR,
Mount hardware cloth (perhaps to the rim of a large mouth jar) with big enough mesh that the brush part and metal shaft would easily fit through, and wrap a rubber band around the metal shaft, and high enough so it would suspend just the bristles in the water.
Lots of ways to attack the problem ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/20/2012 4:57 PM, Swingman wrote:

Yep, and that is fixable. Just put two screens offset by 45degrees... if the cloth is too big. I think I have some smaller cloth though... I'm hoping the galv. will be good enough to prevent a lot of rust except where cut. I could always paint it too... But I think the hardware cloth is a great solution.. Just bend down the sides to keep it off the bottom and I'm done...
Pics to follow once I getr done.

On 7/20/2012 3:48 PM, CW wrote:

This was a great solution... at least for now. I was going to take the hardware cloth and set two layers at a bias. But then I realized I needed to bind the two.
then it hit me just to use electric motor winding or transformer wire to add the bias in.
Pics here: http://imgur.com/a/wLzRs#0
Thanks CW, great idea. I think this might work...
tiredofspam wrote:

Get some aluminum screen like you use in screen doors. Cut it oversize and bend the edges down Another idea is the expanded aluminum sold for gutter screen.
--
G.W. Ross

It is bad luck to be superstitious.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:03:07 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:
Hey tos, are you a NJ guy?
On 7/20/2012 10:15 PM, tommyboy wrote:

Yep, Western NJ by PA. off 78
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 00:19:51 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Northern NJ, near 208/278 junction.
On 7/21/2012 9:59 AM, tommyboy wrote:

278 or 287???
Oakland, Franklin area?
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:53:51 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

287, yes

Go to a craft store. They sell plastic mesh for people to stitch puky ducks on using yarn.