Glue brush cleaning jar solution needed.

It would have to be small enough mesh not to allow for the brush bristles to fall through.

OR,

Mount hardware cloth (perhaps to the rim of a large mouth jar) with big enough mesh that the brush part and metal shaft would easily fit through, and wrap a rubber band around the metal shaft, and high enough so it would suspend just the bristles in the water.

Lots of ways to attack the problem ...

Reply to
Swingman

Hardware cloth. Window screen material.

Reply to
HeyBub

I need to find some good ones, because I do like using them, especially because they are disposable.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yep, and that is fixable. Just put two screens offset by 45degrees... if the cloth is too big. I think I have some smaller cloth though... I'm hoping the galv. will be good enough to prevent a lot of rust except where cut. I could always paint it too... But I think the hardware cloth is a great solution.. Just bend down the sides to keep it off the bottom and I'm done...

Pics to follow once I getr done.

Reply to
tiredofspam

"HeyBub" wrote in news:15SdnbrJtottVJTNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That's what I was thinking. Maybe a couple of PVC "rings" to keep it off the bottom?

If you don't want metal screen (it might possibly be ok if always submerged), a couple of tacks of a water proof glue (hot glue might work) would allow the screen to be stretched over the rings and keep it from sagging.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Used to get the acid brushes from Peachtree, back when the woodworking shows were in vogue around here. The last few years I just pick them up at Rockler and have not had any shedding problems, and I do go through a bunch of them.

Agreed, even though I like the silicone glue brush concept, the disposable acid brushes are hard to beat for many glue-up, particularly on smaller parts.

I extend their life by simply putting them in plastic glass half full of water after use, good for around a week on so. When the metal starts rusting, or the water dries up, both go in the trash and it's on to the next.

Reply to
Swingman

I bet you sharpen your toothpicks to use again, huh? :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

No, it doesn't rust. Actually, for glue, I just put some water in the sink and toss the brush in (it floats). If I used a brush, that is; usually I just dribble on a sine wave of glue, put one piece on the other, slide a bit and clamp.

The tuna can works well for paint too. The paint oozes out of the brush and does drop through the holes in the tuna can. I use the same thing with paint & lacquer thinners.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've found that the key to cleaning the silicone brushes ... the more dry glue, the easier and quicker it is to pull it off.

I keep a finish nail handy to reach under bristles, and lift up, on the one's that were stored without sufficient glue to make it easy.

Reply to
Swingman

This was a great solution... at least for now. I was going to take the hardware cloth and set two layers at a bias. But then I realized I needed to bind the two.

then it hit me just to use electric motor winding or transformer wire to add the bias in.

Pics here:

CW, great idea. I think this might work...

Reply to
tiredofspam

Hey tos, are you a NJ guy?

Reply to
tommyboy

Yep, Western NJ by PA. off 78

Reply to
tiredofspam

Northern NJ, near 208/278 junction.

Reply to
tommyboy

278 or 287???

Oakland, Franklin area?

Reply to
tiredofspam

Go to a craft store. They sell plastic mesh for people to stitch puky ducks on using yarn.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

287, yes
Reply to