Gloves In A Bottle?

Any use this "lotion" and does it work as advertised for oil based stains and paints like latex, etc?

Reply to
Swingman

Yes, I have heard of it and stocked it for a customer. The brand we stocked was Liquid Gloves. Our business sold auto parts and body shop supplies to GM dealers. The body shops bought the product. It works BUT, it has to be reapplied every 2 to 4 hours. YMMV. Also, you had to almost work it as hard to apply as to actually clean your hands. In other words it is very important that you work it in under your finger nails, around your cuticles, and in all the folds of your skin at you knuckles. If you miss a spot, you get dirty. You also have to wash it off after usage to clean your hands, although this was an easier task and it make you hands feel kinda weird.

With all that in mind, the brand you are considering may work better and be a bit less trouble to apply. IIRC the brand that we stocked was 3M.

That said, I have done quite a bit of painting and have found that to remove oil based stains and paints quickly I pour some thinner in my hands and work that in a bit and then wash that off with Fast Orange hand cleaner. The thinner cuts the paint or stain very fast and the Fast Orange removes the thinner very fast. This is all with the understanding that you are not afraid of getting thinner on your hands for 20 to 15 seconds.

Reply to
Leon

I was looking at the stuff that Lee Valley sells in their catalogue ... getting tired of wearing two pairs of disposables just to keep them from getting torn/leaking and thought that might help.

Thanks ...

Reply to
Swingman

What kind of disposables? I have found nitril to be much more durable than latex. The only ones I have damaged was a pair I was pulling on for the 5th time, and that is pretty reasonable for disposables.

Reply to
Toller

I've got both vinyl and latex, unfortunately given to me in large quantities with the best of intentions ... that's why I don't want to buy any more and thought I might try out the lotion, maybe even under the gift gloves.

I've also got the usual pair or two of heavy duty chemical gloves, but they are overkill for stain and paint jobs, particularly in this climate.

Reply to
Swingman

I think I last tried that liquid glove thing back around the time it first came out---mid-60s? It was more trouble than a scrub brush for the hands, in truth. I like Leon's suggestion, though I also use nitrile gloves a lot, except with shellac. Padding shellac with nitrile means the alcohol bites through the blue plastic, IME.

Check out the fingernail brushes that Lee valley sells. I think they're still very low priced, exceptionally effective, and easier on chewed up hands than any other brush I've ever tried. I don't know the price right now because I bought a dozen about 8 or 10 months ago, and still have a bunch left. And the memory is getting old, so I can only say I think I paid about 5 bucks for the dozen. Plus shipping.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Getting in on this late.

Working with epoxy, I use a lot of disposable gloves, mostly latex.

Strictly a one shot use but at $4/box, NBD.

Many auto mechanics use the nitrile (blue) ones.

Higher cost, but they last longer which is of no value to me.

Also use what are known as "canners gloves".

Yellow in color, resuable, have a cuff that is about 3"-4" above the wrist. Less than $75/pair.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No, not vinyl or latex; nitril. Among others, HF has a box of 100 for not too much.

Reply to
Toller

On 23 Nov 2005, Swingman spake unto rec.woodworking:

I am on my third bottle, and it does indeed work as advertised. It goes on like a moisturizer, you rub your hands together for a minute to get it to dry, and then go about your business. While you still may need a touch of turps or mineral spirits to get ALL the paint off your hands, it is very effective at reducing the amount that sticks.

Another happy LV customer...

Scott

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Not sure about this produce, but have used gloves in a tube in the past. It was silicone based.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

All of my mechanics have switched to the nitrile gloves. I use both latex and nitrile depending on the material I am using.

Dave

TeamCasa

I use Lee Valley nitril gloves and often break them with out knowing. I pull the glove off had I have a stained finger.

Reply to
Leon

I've had good results with a fat, rubbed in application of plain 'ol Vaseline Intensive Care hand lotion for latex paint and automotive gunk.

I still haven't found anything that protects against oil-based stain better than disposable or dishwashing gloves. A while back, I bought a container of cotton "glove liners" at a safety supplier. They make rubber gloves far more comfortable!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

That's _exactly_ what I am trying to get around, and that's why I've been wearing two pair at once to try to avoid.

IIRC, your hands are even bigger than mine and I've got to literally stuff mine into those one-size-fits-all disposables. I often have to go straight from the shop into meetings with folks who still wear suits and culture strings, and while I can pull off the shorts and t-shirt routine, stained fingers just look dirty.

Reply to
Swingman

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:28:51 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leon" quickly quoth:

Here's an easy fix, Leon: DON'T USE STAIN!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wed, Nov 23, 2005, 8:40pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) admits: The body shops bought the product. It works BUT, This is all with the understanding that you are not afraid of getting thinner on your hands for 20 to 15 seconds.

When I need such, I just use liquid dishwasing soap. Rub it on until it "dries". Seems to work as well as commercial stuff, and loads list expensive. Plus, you're not likely to be out of it just when you want some.

My dad was a tool maker. Worked with a guy who used to dip his hands in the cleaner they used, and clean his hands. Claimed it was safe. Until all at once his hands were all withered. Dunno whatever happened to him, had had to quit, because he couldn't work anymore. Anothr reason I try to keep away from anything that needs thinner, etc. When I do use them, I use kerosene for clean up.

JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Reply to
J T

Yeah I think any of these type thin gloves are strictly light duty. I only use them occasionally. The Gloves in a bottle is worth a try.

Reply to
Leon

Hummmmm.. I have actually started to try to avoid staining and going with the natural color when a customer is paying. It is hard however to do a whole kitchen and use the expensive woods rather than stain.

Reply to
Leon

Kerosene, I had not thought of that. I knew a woman when I was a kid that rinsed her mouth out with kerosene daily and she still had all of her teeth when she was in her 90's.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Mark & Juanita