Glossy paint when sprayed producing dull finish

Page 2 of 2

spake:

I -think- you're talkking to me, but you don't quote so I don't know.

Good on the former, nix on the latter. AFAIC, poly is unnecessary in 90% of applications and is far too often misapplied, resulting in an even sh*ttier looking finish.
But ask Sherman-Williams BEFORE you do anything else. Take a sample to their paint store if you can and verify dry spray, which is what it sounds like. Verify that your needle is the right size for latex paint. If it's too small, you'll need more pressure to get it to spray and end up with dry spray. <hint>
BTW, I'm by no means an expert on spraying, though I watched a lot of it for 6 years while wrenching at a body shop. (The painter had the fridge in his area so I was over there a lot. ;) I'm just learning the physical art of spraying myself.

Look for both of his books.
======================================================= TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications =========================

spray
I do not see a way to alter the needle on my particular siphon-fed cup HVLP sprayer. I was at the Home Depot and saw their high pressure airless sprayers. I would be willing to shell out the $400-$500 if I knew it would do the job for me, but I am not sure. And from the looks of the plumbing, the 1 qt. can I have would just about be enough to prime it and that's it.
Good idea showing Sherwin-Williams, hopefully manned by someone who knows something.
Mitch
spake:

Replace the needle and seat with a pair designed for that flow rate. Ask S-W for the proper set size. Fuji uses a 1.4mm set for spraying latex. Here's their Spraying Tips page. Download the manuals and see if there are more tips. http://www.fujispray.com/technical.htm They mention the use of Floetrol, too.

No, I doubt you'd like the result of using a house sprayer for inside work.

And if you don't like the explanation given by that guy, ask for another opinion. To make it easier, ask for multiple opinions when you walk in. Professional painters frequent the big paint stores. I asked a few before choosing the paint I used inside the house.
Jeff Jewitt colors WB products and may have something you can use. www.homesteadfinishing.com visit a forum and describe what you're after. Opaque or transparent?