Glossy paint when sprayed producing dull finish

Page 1 of 2

I'm using a spray gun/cup HVLP system to spray a glossy acrylic pain on wood, and for some reason the finish refuses to gloss. When spread with a brush, it looks great, although with brush marks. Has anyone seen this problem before? I'm about to apply a water-based urethane to try to get the shiny finish if necessary.
Wrong distance to work, too fast application, not enough fluid.
--
Rumpty

Probably the same issue as with latex gloss paint. It naturally sprays with less gloss than when applied with a brush. Nature of the beast. I'd bet you aren't doing anything "wrong". Someone explained the mechanism that dulls that type of paint when sprayed but I forgot. It was a paint rep. that told me the details. It's NOT the typical "too dry", "too far away" syndrome. Don't let 'em blame your technique. It's a property of latex, and I'm betting it's a property of the acrylic, too.
Dave
MVG wrote:

Hi David, I spray a lot of acrylic and have not suffered any loss of gloss. It sure sounds like dry spray to me. JG
David wrote:

I defer to your experience, since the discussion I had with a paint pro was regarding latex.
Dave
JGS wrote:

Gee I spray cars with an HVLP gun and it glosses just fine, but I'll take your suggestion and try a brush on the fender next time. VBG
--
Rumpty

I was thinking that acrylic MIGHT be the same as latex, since I painted a ceiling with acrylic ceiling paint. I didn't think it was that much different. Latex DOES spray with less gloss than when brushed.
Dave
Rumpty wrote:

just a second. Isn't there a product called "acrylic latex"? perhaps you and I are talking 2 different types of paint.
Dave
David wrote:

The paint I'm using is Sherwin-Williams "PROCLASSIC waterborne interior acrylic gloss enamel". The can gives no recommendations on any sprayer other than an airless system. I have diluted it with water to the maximum viscosity that will still allow the siphon to operate and get a decent rate of flow.
I wonder if it would help to dilute it further to get a higher flow/thicker coat?
What does "not enough fluid" mean? And "dry spray"?
Thanks for more help on this! I hate to resort ot a clearcoat unless I have to.
Latex requires a heavy duty dedicated HVLP system. I would say a 3 stage, 4stage preferred. If you are using a single stage rig, you have diluted the stuff almost to water.
Gloss paint work requires a continuous full wet coat. It is an art to apply a full wet coat without runs. A good automotive painter earns his keep.

Wow, I'm a handyman with a compressor and a cup HVLP sprayer, not a crazy man with such a high-tech system! Perhaps it is impossible to achieve a glossy sprayed surface with such a paint.
Is there another paint that will work with my sprayer that can achieve a glossy finish?
If the sprayer isn't strong enough, then you can't spray an alkyd based paint properly, either.
Dave
MVG wrote:

Curious. I've sprayed latex enamel with a <$200 single stage turbine, similar to what HF sells for about 80. I just used a large orifice/tip, and included some latex flow additiive (which really made a difference). In colder temp I'll add a little water, but only then. Have done this several times over several years, with different brands. Results were smooth and glossy. Just repainted and old arbor with similar results. Did anybody ask what size tip you're using? GerryG

I have had very good results spraying acrylic latex with the Critter sprayer. Amazing quality for only $40.
What Dan said.
I have a 4 stage HVLP. The distributor claims it's ok to dilute up to 20% with water/Floetrol. seems reasonable to me, and it worked for me with less dilution. Spraying latex with a weak HVLP system or the wrong tip will not make it worth your time.
Dave
MVG wrote:

Cutting it with water will know down the gloss. This paint is made to be used with an airless gun without any reduction..

Dry Spray occurs when the paint droplets are almost dry when they hit the surface. Often caused by spraying an area too far from the gun. Cheers, JG
MVG wrote:

spake:

What does S-W say about thinners? Call the local dealer and ask.

Have you tried Floetrol?

Mask something off, spray it with a can, and let it dry. Now touch the masking paper. Feel the dry, gritty surface? That's dry spray. It happens worse when you spray at an angle.

Check your library for Andy Charron's books "Water Based Finishes" and "Spray Finishing". They'll clear up a lot of questions and give you the terminology you need to ask better questions.
--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------