Glossy paint when sprayed producing dull finish

I'm using a spray gun/cup HVLP system to spray a glossy acrylic pain on wood, and for some reason the finish refuses to gloss. When spread with a brush, it looks great, although with brush marks. Has anyone seen this problem before? I'm about to apply a water-based urethane to try to get the shiny finish if necessary.

Reply to
MVG

Wrong distance to work, too fast application, not enough fluid.

Reply to
Rumpty

Probably the same issue as with latex gloss paint. It naturally sprays with less gloss than when applied with a brush. Nature of the beast. I'd bet you aren't doing anything "wrong". Someone explained the mechanism that dulls that type of paint when sprayed but I forgot. It was a paint rep. that told me the details. It's NOT the typical "too dry", "too far away" syndrome. Don't let 'em blame your technique. It's a property of latex, and I'm betting it's a property of the acrylic, too.

Dave

MVG wrote:

Reply to
David

Reply to
JGS

Gee I spray cars with an HVLP gun and it glosses just fine, but I'll take your suggestion and try a brush on the fender next time. VBG

Reply to
Rumpty

I defer to your experience, since the discussion I had with a paint pro was regarding latex.

Dave

JGS wrote:

Reply to
David

I was thinking that acrylic MIGHT be the same as latex, since I painted a ceiling with acrylic ceiling paint. I didn't think it was that much different. Latex DOES spray with less gloss than when brushed.

Dave

Rumpty wrote:

Reply to
David

just a second. Isn't there a product called "acrylic latex"? perhaps you and I are talking 2 different types of paint.

Dave

David wrote:

Reply to
David

Having read all of the other replies, I'll throw in the basic question - are you mixing according to the manufacturer's spec? No cheating. Too much reducer will cause finishes to lay down.

-Mike- snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The paint I'm using is Sherwin-Williams "PROCLASSIC waterborne interior acrylic gloss enamel". The can gives no recommendations on any sprayer other than an airless system. I have diluted it with water to the maximum viscosity that will still allow the siphon to operate and get a decent rate of flow.

I wonder if it would help to dilute it further to get a higher flow/thicker coat?

What does "not enough fluid" mean? And "dry spray"?

Thanks for more help on this! I hate to resort ot a clearcoat unless I have to.

Reply to
MVG

Latex requires a heavy duty dedicated HVLP system. I would say a

3 stage, 4stage preferred. If you are using a single stage rig, you have diluted the stuff almost to water.

Gloss paint work requires a continuous full wet coat. It is an art to apply a full wet coat without runs. A good automotive painter earns his keep.

DanG

Wow, I'm a handyman with a compressor and a cup HVLP sprayer, not a crazy man with such a high-tech system! Perhaps it is impossible to achieve a glossy sprayed surface with such a paint.

Is there another paint that will work with my sprayer that can achieve a glossy finish?

Reply to
MVG

What Dan said.

I have a 4 stage HVLP. The distributor claims it's ok to dilute up to

20% with water/Floetrol. seems reasonable to me, and it worked for me with less dilution. Spraying latex with a weak HVLP system or the wrong tip will not make it worth your time.

Dave

MVG wrote:

Reply to
David

If the sprayer isn't strong enough, then you can't spray an alkyd based paint properly, either.

Dave

MVG wrote:

Reply to
David

Curious. I've sprayed latex enamel with a Wow, I'm a handyman with a compressor and a cup HVLP sprayer, not a

Reply to
GerryG

Cutting it with water will know down the gloss. This paint is made to be used with an airless gun without any reduction..

Reply to
Mick Grey

I have had very good results spraying acrylic latex with the Critter sprayer. Amazing quality for only $40.

Reply to
Neal

Reply to
JGS

On 23 Mar 2005 15:54:41 -0800, the inscrutable "MVG" spake:

What does S-W say about thinners? Call the local dealer and ask.

Have you tried Floetrol?

Mask something off, spray it with a can, and let it dry. Now touch the masking paper. Feel the dry, gritty surface? That's dry spray. It happens worse when you spray at an angle.

Check your library for Andy Charron's books "Water Based Finishes" and "Spray Finishing". They'll clear up a lot of questions and give you the terminology you need to ask better questions.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Very informative... thanks!

The diluted paint when spread with a brush is still shiny. I think the trouble is in fact the paint being dried out in midair as it strikes the surface giving it a sandpapery texture which diffuses light, spoils the gloss. I'll try spraying with lower pressure and closer to the work, and perhaps a top water-based urethane finish. And I will check out that book.

Reply to
MVG