Gloatin', on a Sunday afternoon...Delta Sawbuck?

Nice little gloat today. I found a home for that Oliver lathe bed last week, and today when I gave the old guy who owned it his share, he said he'd take less cash if I could get an old saw off his hands!

I ended up with a Delta Sawbuck on a wheeled folding stand for $35. I believe these things are still in demand with contractors. Can anyone tell me about the Sawbuck? I've never used one before, or seen one in person (he's dropping it off later), so it's kind of an oddity. I guess the precursor to the SCMS. Tips, info, should I sell it and buy a real SCMS?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Sweet! (you suck big old turtle toes, too)

I'd buy...if you get serious, my address works. A lot of siding contractors use them; they work great for cutting aluminum soffit.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

I'll think about it. For now it's a keeper until I get a CMS or something.

C'mon, anyone else use these things?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I could be wrong, but I think one of their benefits is that they will saw an angle beyond 45 degrees. That makes them real nice for siding work.

Reply to
ToolMiser

Until recently, Delta still made the small version of this saw (might still). Back in the day, they ran $600-$800 iirc. They were the most portable solution to compound miters. Some framers liked them for valley/hip framing, but the sliding fence setup is fairly easy to knock out of alignment with the big wood. The saw itself is pretty much just a circ saw, so the quality of cut is dependant on the blades available (8" iirc?). It also cuts upwards towards the marked surface, and likely the finish surface, so chipout can be a problem. I did a bunch of exterior trim and crown with the big version in the early 90's.

I'd try to flog it to a framer somewhere and get a 10" slider, but thats just me.

Reply to
Eric Ryder