Gloatasaurus

Went to an estate sale this weekend. Not much in furniture or housewares that attracted me or my wife. Headed out to the men's area to find an old Rockwell Unisaw and a big ass planer. Now, I don't really need a Unisaw as I've got one already and my shop space is tight as it is. The planer will replace my older Delta benchtop which has performed well but is definitely a light weight machine.

As I was loading up on Sunday morn this guy pulls up and looks all disappointed in my direction. Comes up to talk and asks how much I paid. Seeing he's kinda crestfallen already I told him $250 - was trying to spare him a fit and heart attack - I really paid $175 for BOTH.

It pays to be the early bird.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

You really are a bastard, you know that don't you?

Dave "I say this with a degree of admiration, of course" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I believe the traditional saluation is

YOU SUCK!

otoh, congrats on the get.

Reply to
Stephen

I think that sound you hear is Tom Murphy screaming as he throws himself off a cliff. Oh, and of course... you suck....

P.

Reply to
Paul in MN

So! The ABAP, it got a name?

UA100, overlooking the Unisaw and wondering, the ABAP, it got a name?...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

You suck.

That probably would have been Tom Murphy - who says "you REALLY suck".

Yea, yea...

How come all I ever find at garage sales is old broken TVs, filthy children's car-seats, and fat-wimmens clothing?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Greg G. responds:

Wonder why I haven't met you yet. I hit a garage sale a week ago where there was a lot of the above, but also a pretty decent little stereo system maybe 8-9 years old. At $50, I figured a new one with warranty was more sensible--at $39.95.

Shop stereo doesn't have to be great, but I'm sure not about to pick up someting used that's about as good as something new, with the new going for less.

Sometimes people who price this stuff are a little...proud, I guess, of their things.

Charlie Self "There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up." Booker T. Washington

Reply to
Charlie Self

ROFL!!! I can't even say you suck about this one, after reading the "anti-gloat" first. Nice score. On second thought, you do suck after all.

Reply to
Prometheus

I look at a lot of junk to find a few treasures, but since I'm retired it's a pleasant Friday morning diversion.

OTOH, if you go on Sunday afternoon all you'll see are the leavings, but even then ... We once got a 20 gallon aquarium, a breadmaker, and a neat framed print - for nothing! The seller's comment was "Take anything you want - I was just getting ready to haul it all to the dump."

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Fly-by-Night CC

.

My leg is sore. I think someone is pulling it ;) Funny as hell though!

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You live in the wrong state, perhaps? I'm in GA. I lived in Florida for 10 years, and did far better in the "good score" department - but being close to a Naval carrier base probably helped. I try to hit them on Friday afternoon if possible, or Saturday morning - but no luck - still looking for that box of 120 year old planes for $5. ;-)

I used to work on electronic stuff, before it was all junk imported from China, and stereos and TVs are definitely NOT on my list of things to buy... I have a basement full of the stuff. Can't even sell them at garage sales, but they are too nice to throw away.

But like shop machinery, sometimes older is better. Most of this new stuff is designed to work just about as long as the warranty lasts.

Yea, I guess I'm guilty of that myself - but I'm negotiable... ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Alright!... Large mouth bass!

Not quite the lunker I was casting to but he'll do nonetheless.

:)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Minnow.

:)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Damn spooked 'im...

:)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Bluegill.

:)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Minnow.

:)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Yesssss. Aaap - just another crappie.

:)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Minnow.

:)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

But still worthy of a trophy! Still LMAO thinking about it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:24:02 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

cast his line far out into the water:

I think he "spit it out". You gott'a learn when to set the hook better.

Damn good post, however.

Reply to
patrick conroy