Gloat with a problem

At a garage sale recently I found a box with several hundred five inch sanding discs with the adhesive backs. I got the whole box for $5. The only problem is that the adhesive on a lot of them is no longer sticky. I had a partial tube of a leather adhesive that worked great on a few of them until it ran out. I can buy a new tube of that adhesive but it is damned expensive. Does anyone know of a good contact cement that can do the job that is affordable?

TIA Dennis

Reply to
TwoGuns

How about a repositionable spray adhesive?. Never used it for what you want to do, but that or something similar is the first thing that comes to mind.

DAGS "repositionable spray adhesive"

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Did you try a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the adhesive to see if it would work or stick?

Reply to
Joe

It doesn't always work, but 10-15 seconds in a microwave often brings back some old adhesive. I've done it with masking tape, but with sanding discs there may be too much metallic material. If you have a shop heat gun, try that.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Several great ideas. I have a tea pot I keep in the garage. Maybe I will steam a couple of the old discs and see how that turns out.

Thanks

Dennis

Reply to
TwoGuns

I use Elmer's Spray Adhesive.. Cheaper than any 3M product I can find and works really well..

I use it on both 12" disks and a quarter sheet palm sander..

I find that if I lay down a good layer on the sander surface, it's good for 4 or

5 sanding disks between applications.. [from elmers.com] Spray Adhesive Specially formulated for mounting items to a variety of surfaces, including plastics. Dries fast and clear, sprays wide to cover large areas. Try the Extra-Strength spray for fast-grab mounting to styrofoam and foam boards. Dries fast for a strong permanent bond!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Franklin Disk Cement. It is made by Titebond, used to be available at Sears stores. It is milky (and water soluble) when wet, dries clear. Dried is soluble with lacquer thinner. Works best when applied to both pad and paper...I squirt some on the pad, rub the paper around on it, set both aside to dry.

This is the closest I found at Titebond but any pressure sensitive adhesive should do.

dadiOH

Loctite for casual use.

Reply to
MikeWhy
3M makes an adhesive for sanding disks. I got mine from a auto body supplier.
Reply to
<wizard2265

This site has good price for many products. I have used it many time.

james187

other things.Jim

James