Gloat Times Two

Hi all -
Went to an auction in Lima OH which featured a lot of WW tools and also lumber. Notices 4 nice Sheraton cherry bedposts with finials, which I had priced a while back for a potential job. Thought they were about $100 a piece (actually after I got home I checked and they are $120 each). I was happy to pay $52.50 for the four!!!
Then they went to a stack of mahogany (about 150 bf) with boards from 5" to 14" wide, all 10' long. I was able to get that for $230 and after selling off a few pieces to other bidders and getting it home and measuring more precisely, I got 110 bf for $175!!! I looked for prices before I went and and found African Mahogany for ~$5/bf and 'genuine' Mahogany for ~$10/bf. I don't know for sure which I have, but thought it was a deal either way. Do any of you know how to tell the difference? I can get some pictures if that would help.
OTOH, there where some small Lie-Nielsen special purpose planes there in pretty good condition, and some guy paid $330 for a couple that would have cost $340 brand new. It pays to keep track of prices...
Les
Wed, Oct 3, 2007, 12:33pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@onu.edu (LesT) doth sayeth: Hi all - Went to an auction in Lima OH <snip>
Welll, won't say you suck, because first off, it was in Ohio. LOL And, I don't need any bedposts, and I only use wood that grows in my state now - unless it's free. However, I will definitely say, you dun real good.
You suck times two.
B.

How NOT to suck.....send me the Mahogany. At least 40 bf
LesT wrote:

I have used both genuine Honduran mahogany and African mahogany . . . not a lot, but some . . . In my limited experience, the African mahogany had more interlocked grain. It was less dense, and also was not as rich a color as the Honduran (genuine) mahogany. The Honduran stuff was a really lovely, rich, golden brown color.
Rick http://www.thunderworksinc.com