Gloat, gloat, gloat

Top this gloat.
I've had very few gloats over my woodworking days, a couple of neeners, but this one is a beaut.
I was driving my daughter home from daycare when I come upon a residential demolition/estate sale. I thought I saw some tailed tools hanging out in the garage, so what the heck, I figure maybe the guy was a wrecker and maybe he's even got a couple of nice neander-bubba planes hanging around in there. Well, I was mistaken about the tools, they were all long gone, like 2 months ago long gone. So I'm about to walk away when the guy mentions that there's a bunch of scrap maple in the basement. Naturally, this gets my interest. Unfortunately, when I get down to the basement, I find out it's not maple. Fortunately, it is walnut. To clarify, 250 board feet of walnut. So, staying as calm as possible, I ask him what he wants to haul all this 'maple ' away. After all, this is a demolition sale, and everything must go, right? We dicker back and forth, he claims he's promised his 'brother in law' first pick and he won't come up with a number, so I take a very short drive. I go back 15 minutes later, tell him that I really can't come back after his brother in law looks over it, so if bro-law doesn't take it, he's going to have to haul it up out of the basement himself. He considers this and tells me, $60, but you have to haul all the offcuts away too (figured walnut offcuts? Okaaaayyy...), along with some scrap oak. The scrap oak is 50 board feet of white maple.
Yes....you suck...congrats.

You really suck did you know that? <grin> Taking advantage of the poor fellow like that...and for all that scrap oak too!

but
maybe
there.
months
there's
'maple
he's
this
is
Not too bad I guess. I would have tried to get more than $60 for hauling his crap away though. ;)
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA
"Joe C" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Yeah... ;~)

is
Nah, 20 a board foot for walnut is not a gloat unless the guy loaded it for you. ;) Ed
pixelated:

Did the VERY loud sucking sound clean out his basement any more as you drove away?
- Metaphors Be With You - http://diversify.com Web Application Programming

is
Joe,
If what you got was what he considered scrap and offcuts, don't you wish you could have picked up some of the "good" stuff?
Good score!
DexAZ
How can you sleep at night? ;~)
It's not easy, I keep waking up with project ideas!
jlc

That explains the high winds here right now...
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"